Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO NOT WANT TO "READ" MY CLOTHING

Concert T shirts or Sports team jersys don't bother me....

Stuff like this does....

juicy.jpg

Respected Contributor

This post is so petty, and it's also inaccurate. Messages on shirts are not a trend or new thing. Sometimes I think people post strong opinions about insignificant things just because they are bored and want to start something.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I'm with you! I don't want anybody else to, either.

Honored Contributor

this is so not a TREND......this has been something that has been around for decades......MANY decades.

to each his own......i have no problem with what other people choose to wear and if they want it to be a statement, then so be it. if they want it to be fun, then have some fun. if they want it to support a cause, then more power to them. if they want to show the world who are what they love, then go for it. if they want it to mean pretty much nothing and just like the style or material, then that is fine also.

very glad that qvc and all other shopping venues give us TONS of choices.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I might not not want to wear Love, Peace, or Joy but compared to many of the messages some wear, I am quite happy if others want to urge following the values I hold.

Occasional Contributor

I agree.  I am 62 years old but I remember when I was a teenager it was popular to wear t-shirts that said Property of.....  My Dad didn't want me to the wear them because he didn't want people to think his daughter was a thief.😁

Honored Contributor

While they have been around for ages, what bothers me is when something becomes a trend.  Retailers wanting to get into the action inundate us with it.

A trend similar to ankle pants.  Repetitiveness is a form of brainwashing. There's a lot of psychology used in sales.  Long pants are out, exposing ankles is in.  It works like a charm.  Retailers make a lot of money because those falling for it think they must "update" their wardrobes or called "outdated" by the fashion police.  

In a few years, those same fashion police will offer a list of the worst fashion faux pas from the previous year.  I'm betting printed tops and ankle pants will be on that list. 

Respected Contributor

I agree, @Shanus , but this has been going on at least since the 1960s, and I suspect it will only increase.  In any case, I've always thought that if a manufacturer or a designer wanted me to wear his or her logo, the item should be discounted to compensate me for the advertising!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I don’t wear clothing with words, sayings, or obvious logos either. I have no desire for people to read my tops & I don’t need positive affirmations on my clothing to inspire me. It’s really never been a part of my style. The only exception was I wore team jerseys with the name of my high school & college on them. That was many years ago. I don’t own those anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

It's simply a matter of personal preference. I certainly don't see why it would be going away in 2021.

I wouldn't consider this a "fad" or "trend".  Back in the 60s, I remember there being t-shirt shops where you could have just about anything put on a t-shirt.  I can even remember the smell to this day!  Many people love to express themselves this way and even in my mid 60s, I have a fair collection of printed promotional tshirts I have acquired over the years that I still use for working out, housework, yard word, layering under a sweater, you name it.  I don't think it's going away any time soon.