Honored Contributor

DO NOT WANT TO "READ" MY CLOTHING

[ Edited ]

I'm not fond of tees, sweatshirts or other clothing that has printed sayings, slogansor even the designers' logos or initials largely printed on my clothing. 

If I have something to say, words to convey, I'll express them myself verbably. I hope this trend ends with 2020.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO NOT WANT TO "READ" MY CLOTHING

@Shanus  I am so with you on this!   I don't own anything like that except for an old  Rolling Stones sweatshirt  and a Patriots shirt.    I can't understand the whole concept of it in the fashion world, but to each his own I guess.

Honored Contributor

It's simply a matter of personal preference. I certainly don't see why it would be going away in 2021.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Shanus  I am so with you on this!   I don't own anything like that except for an old  Rolling Stones sweatshirt  and a Patriots shirt.    I can't understand the whole concept of it in the fashion world, but to each his own I guess.

@LindaSal   When I look at clearance items online (Q and other sites), clothing meant for adults seem to passed over and keep getting further reductions. 

Esteemed Contributor

Agree.  don't even watch teenage type shows but........remember the cold shoulder thingy that we wanted to disappear &  Shark bite hems?  Eventually this fad will also 'hit  the  wall".

Hopefully...............

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mind it when it's done in some graphic or subtle way...in small doses.

I have some "Life is Good' tees and hoodies that I love...not just for the saying but the graphics and the styles and materials are nice. I never buy something that just has a big block letter word or message...but don't mind a little saying incorporated subtley.

But I feel ya too...as it's been way overdone.  I particularly dislike all the  "Kindness" "Be Kind" and other "preachy" kinds of things...not because I don't ascribe to the behavior..but my feeling is stop telling everyone to do it and JUST DO IT and shut up. Lol. That goes for a lot of other preaching out there, signs on lawns etc...imho...we've become a society where words speak louder than actions...and often times it's just to appear "cool" or on the "right side of things"....ostensibly. Just my opinion~I'm sure not everyone agrees.

So, yes...the clothing that talks to us, HAS been overdone by now. Also on jewelry, mugs, ornaments, throws, shirts, plaques etc etc. Still...people must be buying or they wouldn't be selling. I do own some jewelry that says things and for some reason I actually feel good about those. My mom gave me a Brighten id bracelet, years ago, I'm currently wearing again..that says "Live the life you love." It's a nice reminder message from her to me. I also have RLM "spirit" charm bracelet from years ago I still love.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I feel the same way....wouldn't be caught wearing any article of clothing with any phrases or words!

The last time that I did was back in the 1970s when I went to a lot of concerts and bought concert t-shirts when I could afford one.  I thought they were pretty cool back then!

Respected Contributor

Clothing and accessories with logos, slogans, cute sayings has been around for as long as I can remember. It's hardly a trend. I'm not particularly a fan either, particularly on purses. But I'd never be so arrogant as to call for it to go away simply because I don't care for it. I just don't purchase things that I don't like. Simple. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Ps. I've never liked the "designer name" thing...it's a deal breaker for me. I don't want it on my handbag, or anywhere...I think designers names or initials don't belong on my clothing for me to billboard for them, cheapens the clothing...belongs inside on the label.

Only logo I never minded is the Dooney one...which is beautifully and subtley done on the bags. The Michael Kors bags are horrendous with that HUGE MK. ...to me.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a trend.  Sayings have been on t shirts since forever.

Again, if someone doesn't like something, why does it have to go away?  I don't like certain things, but I realize others do.  I don't wish for them to go away.  How juvenile to think like that...