Honored Contributor

Re: DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY MALL YESTERDAY

I haven’t been to a mall since February 2020 before  everything shut down in March. I still prefer shopping in person, and I look forward to doing that some day, but I realize some stores will be gone. Retail stores were already suffering before the pandemic due to online shopping becoming more popular.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to a mall for over a year.  I shop online but I have been doing that for years - way before the pandemic.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Trinity11  I've been following your posts about getting vaccinated and as frustrated as I am for myself and my mother, at least we're on a list. While it appears to be moving nowhere fast we will be called eventually, I hope. It sounds as though you haven't even gotten that far and there's no reason for it. Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not, please, call and/or email your county (city, whatever...) health department administration and then some sort of local elected official and demand to know why your zip code is preventing you from signing up to be vaccinated, especially given your history. It's just wrong to keep putting you off. 

Thanks @stevieb . Good advice and I am going to try.

Respected Contributor

My local mall was in trouble before Covid.  A lot of stores closed before Covid or moved to the new and flashy outdoor mall with higher end stores.  I remember shopping in Dillards a couple of years ago and I felt like I was the only one there.  The employee ringing me up at the register said it's always empty and not looking good.  There were big plans for revitalizing the mall.  Making it more like the new flashy outdoor mall a couple of miles away which has a skating rink, high end stores and restaurants, a hotel and apartments and condos.  I think there is a plan to still do something but more scaled down.  Now, into Covid, it's just gotten worse.  Brookstone, Le Sur, Godiva, Disney Store, Justice, 2 or 3 jewlery stores, AT&T, Verizon, a luggage store, American Girl Doll, Gaarage, Ambercrombie & Fitch, Ambercrombie and Fitch Kids, Hollister, and some others that I don't remember the names, all have closed.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have one mall a few miles from me. Just a handful of stores left and the

outside anchors are the big draw. Kohls is my main store for pretty decent

things, especially the clearance. Just found a huge beautiful UGG pillow

for $20 that I gave to my Mom for her birthday.

We do have a TJ Maxx set to open that we just learned about. But of course

that won't happen until next year. I love shopping but don't purchase too much

online unless I get a good deal and especially free shipping. 

Respected Contributor

SYSTEMIC

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well all hail Jeff Bezos.  I don't think it will ever swing back the other way and that makes me very sad indeed.

I have one item that I have purchased at Amazon...that's it.  I do my very, very best to shop local.

Honored Contributor

Today on my local news I heard our Governor saying that by summer he plans to allow for 100% of all businesses to open at full capacity with no crowd restrictions whatsoever....like the pandemic never happened. Many of the businesses are not there any more so easier said than done.

Trusted Contributor

I have not shopped in a mall in years.  I have seldom walked into a store except for local specialty stores here and there in many years.  I do not miss it at all.  This was all coming long before COVID.  Just as I get older I want to be out and about walking the stores less and less.  Long before COVID, I did curbside or grocery delivery as well.  Just my thing and that of many others as well.

Respected Contributor

The mall that I frequented the most in our area has been loosing stores for years, way before the pandemic.  I haven't been in any of the malls since last year. We used them to walk for exercise, not to purchase. Even the Outlet malls which are outdoor, not enclosed are loosing stores left and right. Many, many empty storefronts.  Once the vaccines have done their job and people feel safe to go out, things will pick up. May not be back to  "normal" as it once was, but better than it was.