Honored Contributor

Re: DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY MALL YESTERDAY

@Shanus wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Many will not go a mall since there is nothing there you can't do without or get online.  

Strolling around an enclosed space with others is a bad idea.

@Still Raining   I agre, but my mall is huge and I walked without seeing or being near anyone. There were not enough people there to worry about.

@Shanus, the malls around here have some kind of system that cleans the air against the virus. I forget how I heard it described on the news but they were reassuring people that it isn't high risk to go in person to a mall......

When I went back in December, the mall was packed and there were no seats in the food court...

Esteemed Contributor

I think a great deal of this is due to people staying home during the pandemic.  I hope these malls can come back.  It makes sense that once people feel safe, they will be back in the mall again.  Personally, I would welcome getting out of the house and I'm sure others feel the same.  Just waiting for that herd immunity.

Honored Contributor

My closest REAL INDOOR MALL.....is being turned into a "multi-purpose development"...........whatever that means. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Many will not go a mall since there is nothing there you can't do without or get online.  

@Still Raining   I agre, but my mall is huge and I walked without seeing or being near anyone. There were not enough people there to worry about.

@Shanus, the malls around here have some kind of system that cleans the air against the virus. I forget how I heard it described on the news but they were reassuring people that it isn't high risk to go in person to a mall......

When I went back in December, the mall was packed and there were no seats in the food court...

@Trinity11   They must have installed a huge, expensive air filtration system. Looks like it's paying off.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Trinity11   They must have installed a huge, expensive air filtration system. Looks like it's paying off.

Yes, that's it! I have been hesitant to go back because I haven't been able to find the vaccine yet. Something, too, about a strange variant in New York. However, I am not sure how much longer I can stay in without going completely nutso. LOL

Respected Contributor

Mall walkers go early in the morning like 7AM when most of the stores and food courts are still closed. the mall doors are open early for the walkers

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps if there were some reliable, competent entity getting vaccines out in the numbers needed in accessible settings, and without expecting people of all skill levels, many without computer access, and with all levels of physical and mental capability and competence to jump through ridiculous hoops of all kinds to be inoculated, people would, once again, feel some level of comfort going ro stores to browse and buy. As things stand now, they don't. I haven't been a mall person in years, they simply no longer interest me. Still, I'd love to feel reasonably safe going to local stores and smaller shopping centers but I don't. Other than a grocery store or pharmacy and a trip or two to Target for essentials, I haven't been shopping just for fun in over a year. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  I've been following your posts about getting vaccinated and as frustrated as I am for myself and my mother, at least we're on a list. While it appears to be moving nowhere fast we will be called eventually, I hope. It sounds as though you haven't even gotten that far and there's no reason for it. Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not, please, call and/or email your county (city, whatever...) health department administration and then some sort of local elected official and demand to know why your zip code is preventing you from signing up to be vaccinated, especially given your history. It's just wrong to keep putting you off. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Shanus Things might be different on the weekends.  I was at our local mall last Saturday and there were many people there.  The individual stores were limiting how many people could come inside but the halls were packed.  I was a little uncomfortable with how many people and how close everyone was while waking through the mall so I didn't stay long.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus & all

Over the last several years here in the Denver metro / suburbs area we've had multi-use open air shopping / retail / entertainment areas either replace old malls or new ones were built.

They still have lots of shoppers, you're outside and can window shop until you decide to duck into a store.  The restaurants are open at 50% capacity and most seem to be surviving.

We didn't have it last year 2020 because of Covid but there is an annual huge Italian festival at Belmar mall in Lakewood CO, streets are closed, booths are up with food / vendor merchandise.  The annual festivities are missing, hopefully they will return this year, the retail end seems to be doing ok.

Crazy, when we moved here 20+ years ago I couldn't understand why an area with snow would have open retail / no underground parking but it works.

This seems to be the way of the future, mixed multi use retail & residences.  Is this common in your area?