Honored Contributor

DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY MALL YESTERDAY

I went to my big mall yesterday to walk around for exercise. There are so many stores that have "gone out", moved to other locations (in the mall or somewhere else) and although folks are window shopping, no one is purchasing. I didn't see anyone carrying a bag and I was there for 2 hours!!!

The stores are piled high w/ winter merchandise marked down to ridiculous prices and still not moving out. Macy's big sale? No one in the store. Their President's Day sale is extended until March 8th in an effort to dump some merchandise. 

This is so bad. I feel sorry for the merchants. I'm thinking those that are shopping are doing so online and will for quite awhile. Even before Covid, it was more convenient and easier to shop online. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY MALL YESTERDAY

You would think with reduced prices and no shipping/handling.....somebody would be at the mall.

I think QVC is feeling the - pinch - too with more free shipping days plus 5 ez-pays.

Also I think the general  public has bigger issues to deal with:  kids, school, behind on financial obligation or out of work.

Malls where I live are going empty one by one too.

Honored Contributor

Our Mall is empty and has been for years now! Stores have closed, and now all there is is a few Shoes stores, Foot Locker, and Champs and some kiosks....No big anchor stores anymore either.......It is such a sad shame! There are hardly ever anyone in there. I personally haven't been there in ages, but my husband will take our grandson there for tennis shoes occasionally! The one place in our Mall that is busy is the Nail Salon and The Exercise place......Sad!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

You would think with reduced prices and no shipping/handling.....somebody would be at the mall.

I think QVC is feeling the - pinch - too with more free shipping days plus 5 ez-pays.

Also I think the general  public has bigger issues to deal with:  kids, school, behind on financial obligation or out of work.

Malls where I live are going empty one by one too.

@fthunt  ITA and also think many are still "sheltering in place". Boy, will I love when all these expressions for just staying home are out of our vocabulary....Uncertain Times, We're In This Together, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN   Strangely, although some places are gone, the Food Court was jammed. I think people feel more safe with the tables spaced far apart and out in the open of a mall than in a closed restaurant space...Cheesecake  Factory, PF Changes....crickets!

Esteemed Contributor

Many will not go a mall since there is nothing there you can't do without or get online.  

Strolling around an enclosed space with others is a bad idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm mourning the dying of malls in America. Visiting malls was a pleasurable activity for me in my past. I never thought I'd ever be trading the convenience of online shopping for the fun I was having shopping and experiencing visits to the malls, but I have. This trend didn't start with the pandemic either. I'm hoping that there will come a time when people want to get back out and go to malls. Watching so many retailers close their doors is so sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well all hail Jeff Bezos.  I don't think it will ever swing back the other way and that makes me very sad indeed.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Many will not go a mall since there is nothing there you can't do without or get online.  

Strolling around an enclosed space with others is a bad idea.

@Still Raining   I agre, but my mall is huge and I walked without seeing or being near anyone. There were not enough people there to worry about.

Honored Contributor

It's very sad and depressing to see this happening.  When covid is under control and the economy picks up, we're going to want to shop in stores again and they're not going to be there.   So many things we've always taken for granted are going to be gone.  There are some things you just need to shop for in person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment