Valued Contributor

Re: D & Co. And Courtney; Paisley is new and contemporary?!?

Courtney would know if Courtney was more than the cutie of the season. It's her responsibility to learn about fashion if, she's going to represent the fashions on QVC!
It's also QVC dropping the ball by not having trained their staff or requiring it of hosts working in fashion.
Valued Contributor

What in the world are you referring to? Are you inferring that intelligent or those who enjoy quality television, such as that presented on PBS.....that QVC is below ones level of understanding? Your comment is very confusing.
What "my cup of tea" is, in any broadcast form...is people who know their craft. If that craft is fashion~you had better know what you are talking about. And if you do not know...LEARN!
Learning should never ever stop.
Respected Contributor

Courtney will be Courtney....

Small paisley, large paisley - it seems to turn up on just about anything these days... From lingerie to furniture! Some are quite nice and other's well, not so nice. My Mother always said paisley made you look old - I think it depends on the paisley - colors, pattern,etc.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Gemspirit: Sorry for being vague. What I meant was that the younger hosts still have a lot to learn, and until they do, they will not appeal to a demographic who watches quality programming. I think that's the same thing you're saying-- you said it very well.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:
Since when is Paisley new and contemporary? Even Miss Courtney, (who seems to be the Q's latest pet host)., should know, if she's presenting fashion...the history of prints, cuts, and trends!
I just recently went to a local Macy's and L&T; for the first time in 5-6 years due to an incapacitating and disabling illness. The old saying "everything old is new again" never rang so true to me! In fact there was the exact style and material dress in Lord & Taylor that I wore to my senior prom in 1977!!! There were zig zag prints long before Missoni came on the scene and there are zig zags on everything! Peasant tops, maxi skirts in muslin, I could go on. But Paisley? That was from the 60's! There was a small resurgence in the 80's that died out as soon as Oprah made fun of the print. 
Paisley wasn't even new in the 60s. Paisley goes way back in Indian and Persian designs. According to Wikipedia, Paisley pattern is a term in English for a design using the boteh or buta, a droplet-shaped vegetable motif of Persian origin. Such designs became very popular in the West in the 18th and 19th centuries, following imports of post-Mughal versions of the design from India, especially in the form of Kashmir shawls, and were then imitated locally. The pattern is sometimes called "Persian pickles" by American traditionalists, especially quilt-makers,[1] or "Welsh pears" in Welsh textiles as far back as 1888

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
If you're aMENSA member, or enjoy watching the likes of PBS or the History Channel, the younger hosts, such as Courtney, Amy and Kirsten, will not be your cup of tea.LOL.

True, but neither would I look to those places to find out what fashions are current and trending. The hosts do a much better job with that.

I also wouldn't look to ESPN for decorating advice, or MTV for instructions on making hollandaise sauce. Everything has its place.

The names you used were some of the younger girls and not the older hosts. I don't think it's so much a matter of education, or intelligence, but more a difference in style between the younger and older generations. I'm happy that QVC offers hosts of all ages so everyone is represented.

Valued Contributor

@handygal2: thanks for clarifying. I completely understand and get what your trying to say.
I went to nursing school and Graduated in 1980. I have two children in their late twenties and early thirties. They were blessed that my husband and I worked very hard and were able to provide an excellent education. But, we also taught our children. Basic life skills from how to cook, garden, do laundry But we also took them to museums of all kinds so even though they may have a certain degree, they were taught much more. We took them to the theatre. Our family vacations always included local history. That IMO, is every parent responsibility.
I think we all owe that to ourselves as well. I did not have the opportunity to learn about art history, music, literature...beyond high school. But I took it upon myself to learn those things so, when someone is discussing those subjects; I can understand and, take part. And if it were my job? I'd better know it backwards and forwards. Thanks again for clearing it up!
Valued Contributor

@Vamp: Thank you. You proved my point perfectly! I'm sure it didn't take you long too look it up either! Thanks 💓
Esteemed Contributor

I agree Vamp, interesting information.

Though I'm not quite sure how the eighteenth and ninteenth century are now redefined as 1960 and 1980!  

"But Paisley? That was from the 60s! There was a small resugrence in the 80s that died out as soon as Oprah made fun of the print."