Esteemed Contributor

Re: Crocheting "Fashionable" Face Masks

@ALRATIBA - can't wait to see some pics. FYI, if and when you get to the lining, a 200 count 100% cotton fabric would be the best choice. You will need something that is tightly woven. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should line cloth face masks with face mask filters that you can buy separately almost anywhere.  Good cloth face masks are made with a pocket to insert a filter, always read the fine print to check for that.  But do your research on the filters because there are now so many filters out there, made of different materials.  They are disposable; I've seen them in packs of 10, 50, even 100.  

Sorry, but I cannot imagine a crochet or knitted face mask.  The very nature of the yarn loops make them near useless for the job intended.  Sewing them double layer, to allow for a filter pocket, would seem extremely hot and unbearable.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I am anxiously awaiting to see pictures of your creations! Do wear them in good health!

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA What an interesting idea....I can see that working with a suitable liner.  

Please do post a picture of your finished products.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz 

I plan on taking pics on my styrofoam headform later today. I want to get out some hats (ala LDO) for the head to coordinate with the mask.   I'll "@" you so you don't miss it.

BTW - I wore the dark orange to the supermarket today.  It's a five minute walk each way ... store rule "face covering" ... most of the guys are wearing bandanas - outlaw style.  (Remember, this is NYC.)

The crochet masks are the way to go for me.  I could actually breathe and my glasses and red fit-over sunglasses didn't fog up so I could see where I was walking.  And .. contrary to an opinion voiced around here - it was cool to wear!  

Making some more today!  I'll have a rainbow of masks.

--------------------------------------

@magicmoodz wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

I am anxiously awaiting to see pictures of your creations! Do wear them in good health!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@ALRATIBA What an interesting idea....I can see that working with a suitable liner.  

Please do post a picture of your finished products.

@alicedee 

I'll "@" you when I post pics.

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

What a neat idea! 

Looking forward to seeing pictures 😊 

- Ignore the naysayers Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@magicmoodz 

I plan on taking pics on my styrofoam headform later today. I want to get out some hats (ala LDO) for the head to coordinate with the mask.   I'll "@" you so you don't miss it.

BTW - I wore the dark orange to the supermarket today.  It's a five minute walk each way ... store rule "face covering" ... most of the guys are wearing bandanas - outlaw style.  (Remember, this is NYC.)

The crochet masks are the way to go for me.  I could actually breathe and my glasses and red fit-over sunglasses didn't fog up so I could see where I was walking.  And .. contrary to an opinion voiced around here - it was cool to wear!  

Making some more today!  I'll have a rainbow of masks.

--------------------------------------

@magicmoodz wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

@ALRATIBA 

Thank you! Wearing a mask and requiring glasses to read it the worst! My favorite mask has a wire nose clip, but even that doesn't always work.

I can't wait to see yours. It may be something I have the skill level to do.Maybe!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz 

@Swedishmiss 

@alicedee 

... and anyone else who's curious ...

These are six of the ones that are finished.*  They don't look like much just laying there ... They are an accessory - not the whole "look."   

You have to see them worn - with sunglasses and hat!  If you happen to be in the neighborhood - you might get a glimpse of me walking by.

(apparently pic too large to upload - I'll have to figure something out.  In the meantime ... here's one of them in lime green with t-shirt linng).

IMG_0783.JPGIMG_0782.JPG

*  I made a striped one that looks like The Joker.  Hilarious!  Giving it to my neighbor's son ... he'll love it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  The image isn't showing for me.