Honored Contributor

Re: Crocheting "Fashionable" Face Masks

@ALRATIBA  What type of liners are you using.  Asking because a lady in my building crochets facial masks & gives them to residents in need of masks.  She uses coffee filter as liners. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ALRATIBA Sweetie, wouldn't crochet be hot?

@ECBG

it's cotton fiber with cotton liner.  And, as we all know from watching QVC .... "cotton breathes."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

I knit and I'm sure I can make a mask but why?  As others have stated, it will not serve it's purpose effectively and I personally wear a mask as little as possible, i.e, only when I'm in a store and required to do so.  I spend my time knitting lap robes, baby blankets, hats and scarves.  Once this is over at least temporarily I plan on buying good qualityf face masks that will do the job they're meant for.

I remember seeing the first crocheted baby sling you know the ones you wear cross body. The baby would be dragging the floor before long. Some things just don't work for knit or crochet. Crocheted bras to name another. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ALRATIBA  What type of liners are you using.  Asking because a lady in my building crochets facial masks & gives them to residents in need of masks.  She uses coffee filter as liners. 

--------------------------

@Mz iMac 

I'm linng them with cotton (old t-shirts).  I'm using coffee flters for an "interfacing" between the outside crochet and the cotton lining to maintain the shape.  These are for me.  I'm not giving them away.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ALRATIBA    I hope you're using 2-3 layers of a high thread count cotton woven fabric as a lining, otherwise your masks are useless as a virus barrier.

----------------------

@Kachina624 

They aren't intended to be a virus barrier.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I knit and I'm sure I can make a mask but why?  As others have stated, it will not serve it's purpose effectively and I personally wear a mask as little as possible, i.e, only when I'm in a store and required to do so.  I spend my time knitting lap robes, baby blankets, hats and scarves.  Once this is over at least temporarily I plan on buying good qualityf face masks that will do the job they're meant for.

@kaydee50 

In NYC we have to wear a mask whenever we are outside.  Our apartment management asks that we wear one when we are in the laundry room, at the mailboxes, etc.  

My lifestyle - I'm in and out of my apartment several time a day ... my mask hanks by my door - next to my keys.  

I'm rarely close enough to anyone that I'll catch something ... we're all wearing masks!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

fyi: The CDC recommends using multiple layers of fabric to make a face covering.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a great idea and looking forward to you posting a pic @ALRATIBA .

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50 

In NYC we have to wear a mask whenever we are outside.  Our apartment management asks that we wear one when we are in the laundry room, at the mailboxes, etc.  

My lifestyle - I'm in and out of my apartment several time a day ... my mask hanks by my door - next to my keys.  

I'm rarely close enough to anyone that I'll catch something ... we're all wearing masks!

@ALRATIBA    Why do you wear a mask if not as a virus barrier?  Because you have to to be socially acceptable?  You're not worried about protecting yourself or anyone you might encounter?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen many nice crocheted masks on Etsy -- most with lining and pockets.  Very nice!

Please show us photos of your designs.  For me, I think the crochet would be too hot for summer.  But if we're still needing masks next winter, I'd definitely want one.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt