Honored Contributor

Crocheting "Fashionable" Face Masks

The other day - chatting* with a neighbor in the laundry room ... she asked if I had crocheted any face masks.  I had not - but that gave me an idea!

I dug up a crochet pattern online - went through my yarn stash.  I've crocheted three - just need to line them.  Plan on making lots more.  The crochet takes me about an hour each - another 1/2 hour to line - then wash/block and wait for them to dry.  

They look really great - when done, I'll post some pics.

Just my luck - I'll have a bunch of masks finished and they'll tell us we don't have to wear them anymore!

--------------

* chatting while wearing face masks and maintaining social separation.  Actually more like "shouting" as we both are hard of hearing.  Had quite a few laughs about it!

Respected Contributor

Re: Crocheting "Fashionable" Face Masks

@ALRATIBA  sounds very cute. can't wait to see a photo.

Contributor

I can't imagine a crocheted mask to be tight enough to block any particles . Fashion statement maybe but not usefull.

Frequent Contributor

Although I'm sure these masks would be fashionable, I don't think they will be practicle or useful.  They would have too many small holes in them to be of use.  Actually, unless one is wearing the N95 (?) mask, no masks out there are  filtering the virus. Even if one was to line the mask it would probably be heavy, and maybe not even practicle.  I have worn masks on duty for many hours and they can be very restrictive, even if they are very light. Perhaps crocheting little hats for premie babies with very light yarn would be so much more appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

Why not just put pockets in them for the removable filters? The crochet will make them pretty and the filters will render them effective. The user can then wash the crochet part

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA    I hope you're using 2-3 layers of a high thread count cotton woven fabric as a lining, otherwise your masks are useless as a virus barrier.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA Sweetie, wouldn't crochet be hot?

Regular Contributor

Why make the virus fashionable? Why give in to your ego on this horrible virus? It's a functional mask. Not a fashion piece.

Honored Contributor

@guuuus wrote:

I can't imagine a crocheted mask to be tight enough to block any particles . Fashion statement maybe but not usefull.

She said she's going to line them.  They can be useful with some type of lining.  Or as @Andreatoo stated, sew it where you could add a replacable protective lining.

Honored Contributor

I knit and I'm sure I can make a mask but why?  As others have stated, it will not serve it's purpose effectively and I personally wear a mask as little as possible, i.e, only when I'm in a store and required to do so.  I spend my time knitting lap robes, baby blankets, hats and scarves.  Once this is over at least temporarily I plan on buying good qualityf face masks that will do the job they're meant for.