Frequent Contributor

Crocheted Clothing - need help :(

Hello Everyone -

I have an odd question and despite looking all over the Internet for the answer, I've come up empty-handed. I'm hoping someone can help. I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks and I found a duster/long cover-up that I would love to wear over my dress. Thing is, it is crocheted and I don't want any skin to peek through. Do you know if a seamstress would be able to make the duster look solid? Perhaps by putting some extra material on the inside? I would have to order the duster on-line and don't want to make the purchase unless it can be altered. Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks so much and have a good day! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Crocheted Clothing - need help :(

What about getting a lace cardigan instead, like something like this?

A236422

G.I.L.I. Lace Cardigan Sweater w/ Metallic Floral Embellishment

Or this? A258895

Bob Mackies Placement Print Lace Jacket

Valued Contributor

If you're talking about something like a lining I think it could be done if the crochet isn't too large. It may be expensive because you would need fabric that matched the duster and then the time the seamstress spent on it. I don't know what things cost in your area.

I made a Halloween costume for my granddaughter when she was a toddler and the fur was rough on the inside. I just sewed a lining to the main body pieces and it was fine.

Question is also would this duster be washed? If so the lining may not fit as well after washing. If it was me and I really wanted the duster I would make a lining and then temporarily sew it into the duster at the neck, sleeves, hem and several places throughout but not sew it in permanently. That way you can take it out to wash the crochet. Two different fabrics don't always wash the same. Think of maybe a skirt that is lined, then washed and the lining hangs. If it's dry cleaned then it shouldn't be a problem but can't say for sure.

I would take the picture of the duster you want to a seamstress and find out what the cost would be. That gives you a starting point. She most likely would have to have the duster to make a pattern from so it would fit properly. It's pretty simple if you can sew.

Super Contributor

Here's a page on what's involved in lining a crocheted item: How to Line Knitted or Crocheted Garments

I've never lined anything that was already finished.

Regular Contributor

a) I've crocheted since I was 8; b) sewn my own clothes since I was 12; c) it's absolutely possible to use a lining for the duster you're contemplating. I definitely suggest that the "liner" not be attached to the crochet, but instead made as a separate garment both for laundering (as Kismet suggests) and for ease of wearing. The liner can be done in nude, or in some contrasting shade to the crochet duster (i.e., hot pink liner and silver crochet). In my experience the liner should be a solid color, as pattern and/or multi-colors would look odd peeking thru the crochet, and patterns or multi-colors would take away from the intricacy of the crochet effect. Keep in mind that crochet can be done using thread/yarn derived from just about anything [acrylic, wool, silk, cotton ... I just saw some yarn made of yak that was wonderfully soft and gorgeous, and there is even yarn made from milk!] so although though your crochet duster may be able to undergo hand washing it will need to lay flat to air dry as once wet the crochet will stretch with the weight of the water, so it must lay flat and be shaped out to dry. Having an attached sewn-on liner would make that process unwieldy and it's even possible that the liner would bleed onto your beautiful crochet duster. The whole effect sounds beautiful to me!! Go for it!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have crocheted for over 45 years & made shrugs & dusters. I have never tried to line anything and always have worn a separate piece underneath. Of course I prefer handmade.

Honored Contributor

An experienced and trusted seamstress would be able to line the item, she will be able to make a pattern, sew the lining together and tack it in place. You would most likely have to supply the lining fabric and this could be rather expensive since it is very detailed work.

If you bought the duster at a bridal shop I would see if they could line it for you.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond. It sounds like this can be done! I'm going to go ahead and order the duster. Once the finished product is complete, I will try to post a picture. Thanks again for all of the help - I really appreciate it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}