Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with @Greeneyedlady21 .

I think this top should have a lining.

Respected Contributor

Re: Crochet Doily Tank

[ Edited ]

Remember the granny square crop tops?  I had one. And I loved it. It didn't stretch because it was made from acrylic. 

eta I wore a strapless bra with it or as a vest. Because it has holes in it, you know.

Esteemed Contributor

Where is ALTRARIBA (sp?).   Those tops would be so easy to make - and so cheap to make!   Once, in my youth, I crocheted myself a 2-pc bathing suit (it was lined).  Couldn't wear it in the water... but it was cute!   Also made a few crocheted tank tops.   Just make 2 very large granny squares and add shoulder straps.   

$245??  boggles the mind.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

Yes, easy to make (if you know how to crochet) and depending on the type of yarn - could be expensive or inexpensive.

A good cotton yarn could cost more than $50 per ball/skein/cake.  Maybe 2 balls per tank.  

And - hand crocheted - even at a minimum wage hourly rate?  

Just as an example using $17 an hour - and it takes 10 hours to make this tank top:

• $100 for yarn + $170 for labor.  And - factor in the overhead.  

Unless you're using slave labor in a third world country and inexpensve yarn ... hand crochet doesn't come cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA -- first off, I apologize for botching the spelling of your nickname.  

Well, if I'm doing the labor, and not paying someone else, then that part is free to me.  I've never spent $50 a skein for yarn - but that's just me.  I usually made small vests (hats, pillows, etc) out of scrap yard.   Now that my carpal tunnel and arthritis are so bad, the only items I can crochet are potholders and pan scrubbers.  I envy anyone who can crochet these days.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

My SIL and I are crochet and knitting "junkies."  We always have several works in progress.  

If you like to work on small things with scrap yarns - you should really look into freeform crochet.  

Check out Pinterest or just google "freeform crochet" and select images.

It's fun to do and you are only limited by your imagination!