Respected Contributor

Re: Creating a Dressing Room

In two different homes, I turned the smallest bedroom into a "dressing room".  Neither were meant to be pretty, but were meant to house clothes.

I have always had too many clothes (my weakness) and I used what would have been an unused room as a closet.

Kept the door closed and considered the room a closet, not a room.  Contained hanging racks, shoe racks, an armoire/dresser, decorative boxes for scarfs, a jewelry armoire and chest with small drawers for lingerie and shelves for sweaters.

Currently don't have a luxury of an extra room, but have some very creative closet space.  DH built an extra closet under the steps and re-arranged the combo extra bath/laundry room to add 3 closets.

I also use hanging garment bags and totes in my garage that is entered from the laundry room for out of season storage.

DH has a garage detached from the house that is a combo garage he built to accomodate a large truck and a workshop, so the attached heated/air-conditioned garage is all mine thus its status as part closet,

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono : love this! Even the clothes are color coordinated with the dressing room.

I did a bare-bones version of this when my sons grew up and moved to homes of their own in my four bedroom home. Used one of the unused bedrooms. I have since moved from that house.

I know a single woman who did this in the basement of her condo. Built in closets on 3 walls and the laundry room behind it. 

Now I just try to keep my wardrobe and accessories organized in my ample closets. The exception is shoes- they live in clear bins on a shelf in my attached garage.

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen this done with smaller spare bedrooms.  Although we can't see the whole room of this one, it appears to be completely lacking enough hanging space.  I also don't care for the way it's organized.  While the concept could work for me; this particular layout does not.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Not for me. I prefer an enclosed closet with doors. 

Honored Contributor

Is that the new-ish faux wood plank wallpaper that's been popping up in DIY shows?

I like it!

In your latest photo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The original picture is from Ballard Designs, they are showing the 3 pieces that make up the Avery Closet Collection and are sold individually.  You get to design your system.  I think it looks attractive.

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

I have done this in our house.  Its my Closet/Beauty room.  I love it!!!!

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

This popped up on my feed. 

Is it something that you would like to have, like in a spare room, or do you prefer an enclosed closet with more hanging storage?

Be still my heart....beautiful! Heart

Honored Contributor

I think it's beautiful.  If I had a spare room, I would do this.  It wold be a dressing room.  I still would need a walk in closet though.  It would be nice to have a make up area in that space as well.