Honored Contributor

Re: Continuous name dropping did anyone else notice?

[ Edited ]

I don't watch.  But they are there to sell, and they are giving comparisons of other products to sell theirs.  I guess it seems more credible to them to say I have these, rather than "I saw them in a store and they seemed too thin to me"  Maybe they feel it makes the story better to compare something "they own", rather than something "they saw"?

It is hard to stand there for an hour or two yakking away.  It is not like they can introduce a product, and keep silent for an hour while while we look at it on camera!  LOL!

I agree the chatter is nerve wracking sometimes.  Some Hosts or vendors worse than others.  There were a couple of venfors like Joy Mangano, and "her twin" that send me away nerves frayed, shutting off TV. OMG, they talk non stop, interrupt, jump, wave, and come across as egocentric.  That is why I don't watch QVC anymore.  I buy online, it is quieter and I can get better descriptions and measurements.  The hosts rarely give info on the item they are selling anymore...Just Madison avenue stuff, and what others will think.

But, it is a hard, hard job.  Harder than most of us imagine.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

@ANewHue, I know exactly what you are saying. Enough. I just couldn't take it and had to change the channel. And this is a host I used to look forward with anticipation to watching. Not anymore. Sad. Sad. Sad.

@MaggieMack thank you I am glad I was not the only one.   I never really comment but I just had to this time.  It was horrible. They get paid to sell/talk but they need to think before that. I must admit I am not a large clothing customer to the Q but I do buy a good deal of D. basso and enjoy watching Isaac.  I will no longer watch Monday night. 

Honored Contributor

I read this thread title and thought to myself, "But I  thought Lisa Robertson was gone!"

Valued Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Name dropping might work from a sophisticated, knowledgeable, fashionista who gets around, but not from this host. Even from Isaac, it works, b/c he is in those circles. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it's all about making a sale.

Esteemed Contributor

This host should be hosting just food for a while.  That will solve the problem. 

I wonder what Dennis Basso thought when she brought up another brand as he's trying to sell his product.  And yeah, if you own 6 of something but can't wear them cause they are itchy?  Sure honey.

Valued Contributor

This all just explains why I no longer watch this host.

I could write a volume on what I don't like!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Honored Contributor

I saw that with Dennis - I'm certain he was PO'ed. It was as if to imply he was not a famous designer - and he is.

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

Yesterday during a few of the evening shows , the host mentioned while doing a "hit" with Dennis Basso that the coat they were selling looked so much like "an expensive designer brand (I never heard of this brand) that cost  $ 5,000,  DB looked a little taken off guard then went on to say that that store was right next to his in Aspen.  

Okay once but as the evening went on this happened.

Not once but twice the same host brought up expensive brands while selling Isaac's cashmere, then again with his tee shirts. First she said she owned several chasmere sweaters (not his) that she paid mega $$$ for and had to wear tee shirts under them  She said "she owned several cotton tee shirts that cost 6x more and were paper thin compared to his.  It seemed that this particular host is starting to get full of herself.  I don't think it's appropriate that it appears  that she's starting to constantly name drop and brag where she is shopping and how much she is spending. We are not stupid all these hosts make great money and don't spend much of it at the Q.  After the third or so time this happened I decided to turn to another SHOPPING channel.  I don't bash any of the hosts and like everyone we have the ones we like and the ones we don't.  Even though this particular host is targeted many times I felt a little betrayed as I always gave her the benefit of the doubt.  It was insulting. It brought me back to the days of the Patty Riley meltdowns.  

I didn't take it as name dropping and it doesn't bother me at all that they talk about where they are shopping, etc.  I think we all know they make a good salary plus rumor has it they also get a clothing allowance.  Where they spend their money doesn't make a bit of difference to me although I do find some of the sales tactics to be insulting to the viewers' intelligence.   

I mean she knows what's in inventory. Why would she be out spending 6x more for a paper thin t-shirt when she knows she can buy Isaac's?  And as someone else pointed out, why would you have purchased all those cashmere sweaters you have to wear a t-shirt under?  Again, she knows Isaac sells cashmere. 

I find half of what they say to just be utter nonsense because they have a lot of time to kill selling items.