Respected Contributor

Re: Comment about jeans read it quick.....

My mom passed at 92 and I finally got her to wear jeans in her 60s. I bought all of her clothes since she broke her hip and she was always so thrilled to get a new blouse.

After she passed away she still had all the clothes I ever bought her over the years.

She moved in with me when she got Alzheimer's and I bought her all new clothes. Talk about tough times, they were the toughest I ever experienced but I wouldn't change a thing.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1  My mother also died at 98.  She rarely wore slacks, mostly a dress or skirt, stockings and a girdle.  Times certainly have changed and in this case, IMO, for the better!!!

My mom died at age 88 of West Nile Virus.  She didn't own a dress or a skirt and wore nothing but pants.  

A woman ahead of her time?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love jeans and have worn them all my life. Finally gave them up as they are just not comfortable for me anymore.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I love jeans and have worn them all my life. Finally gave them up as they are just not comfortable for me anymore.

I quit wearing jeans about 10 years ago but I ordered my first pair in Dec. and now I have 4 pairs. I enjoy the pull up kind with the knit waist and I am enjoying jeans again. 

Honored Contributor

If my mother was still alive, she would be 103.  She wore pants as far back as I can remember.  There are pictures of her pregnant with me wearing pants.

She worked on the railroad during WWII and welded iron.  I have pictures of her and other women wearing bib jeans.

My mother never wore denim around the house and I remember begging her to let me get a pair when I was younger.  She resisted and said they were for poor people.  I guess they were cheap pants back then.

I wonder how they got to be so expensive today.

Honored Contributor

My dad, who was born and raised in 1932 Brooklyn, always told me that jeans were for farmers and for working people like that. I never ever saw him wear a pair of jeans or anything made of denim....that was for farmers, as he would say to me.

Honored Contributor

I'm 51.  I went through a long period of time in my mid-20's to early 30's where I didn't wear or even own a pair of jeans.  I hated them.  They were stiff and uncomfortable.  And because of my waist to hip ratio, I could never find a  pair that fit me properly.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think jeans were made for women back in the day.  I recall a big sales splash by Levy - my guess would be that was the beginning of it all.

Google knows I'm sure.............

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I'm confused about this thread, but anyway...

My mom is currently 93 and wears her stylish jeans proudly and fashionably.  She lives in NY and is not a farmer. 

Mom sometimes wears them to her senior citizen center, casual visits with friends and relatives, and grocery shopping. She takes great pride in her appearance and always looks great (I should be so lucky!). 

Your Mom sounds like my Mom -- and she turned 94 yesterday!  (As a young woman decades ago, I remember envying how terrific she looked in her Gloria Vanderbilt jeans.  She's still way more stylish than I am!)

Honored Contributor

99071A8D-A4A1-49D8-9A91-5FBF22B24033.jpegLady Levi's were introduced in 1934.  They were sold to women who worked on farms and ranches.  The fist pic is showing my mother and her co-workers wearing jeans on the Pennsylvania Railroad during WWII.

The second pic is from a Lady Levi Ad.

06BACDD1-3E48-4FC3-B552-6D637FE4B2F9.jpeg