Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colors - Everything does NOT go with everything

It really is puzzling how some clothing lines have things that don't really look good together but are sold that way. I wonder if customers really buy the whole outfit as shown?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now that I think about it, it's possible my Grandmother actually "invented" the LOGO NOGO style. As I grew up - taller but not wider - she would find fabrics or notions to add to the bottom of my dresses to make them longer. I hated the look then, I felt embarrassed wearing things with "stuff" sewn on the bottom. And I hated the look because it sadly changed something I had worn with pride into something ugly or mismatched.

Of course I know now that we were far from rich and that we had to do whatever necessary to get full use out of everything. Also it was wartime (WWII) and everything was rationed or in short supply.  But at the time I would do anything to avoid wearing something with stuff added on.

Perhaps this explains why I dislike the LOGO NOGO look so intensely. There is no way on this earth that I would wear that look today. To me, it's just plain ugly, and the layering only makes it worse. Why would you add more "width" to your hips?  Everything does not go with everything!!!  But it would seem Mama was ahead of her time. She was doing the LOGO NOGO thing before it became a thing.

Honored Contributor

@carol in NC wrote:

My taste is my taste, and I don't expect others to shy away from Logo clothing just because I do.

The way they combine colors on the shows, however, is horrid. I don't know how the models bring themselves to walk in front of the cameras in some of the combos. Pink and green and brown and gray and camo all at once ..... it just gets worse all the time. 

I don't think its even right to sell clothes this way. Some people are color blind and some just don't have a knack for color and if they buy into this premise they can look awful.

I have an art degree from Parson's School of Design in New York City and I took two years of Color Theory I, II, III and IV classes. Everything does NOT go with everything.

Its embarassing to watch, even if the clothing designs themselves don't turn a person off.

@AussieLuvr

I forgot to ask ..... since you have the education, just how did what direction did you take with your career?   Are you working in design  .... or retail .... or what?

Esteemed Contributor

In purchasing colored fashion, I go by my skin tone instead of coloring. And what "goes together", I go by the color wheel.

Lori blends the color wheel and gives it a cute name like butter cup and makes it seem like she's invented new colors and they all go together.

What "goes together" and what does not, changes with time. There was a time you never mixed navy with black or black with brown. Now they go together and thought beautiful.

So, once what was thought bad, becomes new and fashionable. We haven't seen them together ever or for a while, and love the new and different look.

I think Lori is experiencing this. There's nothing new under the sun Lori has discovered. Like Isaac, lauding Pima cotton and explaining in detail what pima cotton is, like he just discovered it. Pima has always been there and Isaac is who just discovered it.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I have been known to wear an Isaac floral cardigan over a Logo tunic.

GET THE HANDCUFFS!!!!!

(So clearly I dress like a three year old with no imagination.....)

Actually, three- year- olds are very imaginative. My daughter used to wear a pink ballerina skirt with cowboy boots and a baseball cap. so cute. Smiley Happy

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

the color i hate the most is a muted rose or mauve.  It does nothing for the complexion.  I do not believe everything goes with everything.  You need a good eye for mixing "out of the box" colors and believe me, Logo does not have it.   Who wants to end up looking like a fool or clown walking down the street.  Some of the crazy mixes are fine for the runway or magazine but not in real life.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

dum-de-dum-de-dum.post gone Woman LOL

Contributor

I agree!  I don't like clothing that is totally mismatched either.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like Logo and never watch her shows. I like more classic styles. If I want to add a different punch to my dressing, I add jewelry. I love jewelry and think it adds to your clothing. At one time, Lori had pictures of people that wear her clothing. It was very interesting to see her admirers. You have to dress what is right for your figure.

Super Contributor

I do freelance work. I got my Illustration degree and decided not to become a professional artist. I wanted to love my art, and doing it for a living can be hard. Putting your artwork up for a boss or client to review is like putting your soul on display, and it can be cruelly dismissed. My heart, soul and psyche just couldn't bear that!

I also do some Interior Decorating work.

I only take on projects that I truly love and believe in now, and I only do projects that I get through word of mouth. My professional artist friends bug me all the time to do a show or display of my work but I just don't think I can handle it. These are things I learned in school as I got a sense of the business part of being an Illustrator, so I really was rather naive about it when I began my studies.

When I got out of school, I went to work for (what was then) Exxon. I joined their deep sea going fleet and sailed on oil tankers as a member of the US Merchant Marine for about five years, and then worked in shipping for many years. I love the ocean so have GOBS of drawings, paintings, and even a few sculptures of sea life and the ocean. Yep, I know - there's a STRAIGHT LINE from studying Illustration to becoming a deckhand on an oil tanker, LOL.

I also studied and LOVE art history. I volunteer at an historic art gallery and that is something I just adore; sharing my knowledge and insights with people. There is nothing more gratifying than pointing out small details in terms of color or the artist's style and inclusions and seeing a person's face light up with discovery. I probably should have ditched the Illustration and become an art historian or restoration artist. Smiley Happy