Esteemed Contributor

Re: Color choices in clothing, or furniture I guess.

In clothing, my varous pants are what I call neutral (Khaki, white, Navy, Black & Gray).  I then accentuate with tops in various colors (& some prints).  My cardigans and jackets are also in the neutral family.

As for furniture, I bought a new sofa and recliner 2 or 3 years ago.  I had gone in to the furniture store specifically looking for a sofa in a brown or tan (or what I call cafe au lait).  The first sofa I saw as I entered the store was gray.  I continued to look but my mind kept going back to that gray sofa and that's what I purchased along with a muted varigated charcoal/black recliner.  I've always loved gray (even years ago when everyone called it "institutional") and was really quite happy that's what I ended up choosing.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Start with 1 major color,

then, what 2nd color to go with the first would you choose then,

what of those two plus one last one, would you like to look at with those 3.

I'm doing something here, and would like to know what the colors of this arrangement you find most appealing to your eyes to look at.

Thanks.

What's most appealing to the eye is if they're all in the same color theme (ie tint, tone, shade, hue).

Some years ago, I was visiting a friend and she was doing some repainting. You could see into other rooms from where you stood and since the colors didn't gel, it was jarring (the kitchen was in a tone, the family room was in a tint and the dining room in a hue). 

Another example is talk shows. When one host is in a muted outfit and another is in a bright color it doesn't look good.

hth

Respected Contributor

Clothing:  I like black, I seem to gravitate to it.  Maybe because it's slimming.  I also like blues, pinks and greens.  Furniture:  Neutral colors like taupe.

Honored Contributor

I start with a basic color too----am re- freshing my small living room--have a mottled dark, light grey sofa-- then saw a denim  blue, turquoise, cream, patchwork throw with trellis designs and paisley  swirls and really thought it would be just the color combo what I wanted---have a navy blue cotton blanket folded to cover the seat cushions--have a cat  who likes to loungeCat Wink--next I got a couple pillows in the blue and the turq --so nothing really matches but it all compliments each other--have brown leather chairs and apt is very neutral with griege walls and carpet and flooring---- for clothing its the same-- basics then added color but love to pop with a different color shoe or sandal and same with my jewelry--

Honored Contributor

Black is my basic .... clothes and furniture.  I like the "drama" of black with a splash of color (solid or print).

All my furniture is black - upholstered and wood - bookcases, picture frames and matting.  Book spines add color - as do the colorful  molas and temple rubbings that are framed.  Black frame mirrors hung between the "pictures" reflect light and colors.

Red and white are the contrast colors - and animal prints appear in area rugs, throws, etc.  

Clothes .... black is also my main neutral clothing choice ... white my first contrast choice and then a splashy colorful print or bright solid color.  And - they work in any order.  Splashy/colorful pants with a black or white shirt!

I've mentioned this several times before - Linda Dano's "Looking Great" book "saved" my wardrobe, and has greatly influenced my apartment decor.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

In clothing, my varous pants are what I call neutral (Khaki, white, Navy, Black & Gray).  I then accentuate with tops in various colors (& some prints).  My cardigans and jackets are also in the neutral family.

As for furniture, I bought a new sofa and recliner 2 or 3 years ago.  I had gone in to the furniture store specifically looking for a sofa in a brown or tan (or what I call cafe au lait).  The first sofa I saw as I entered the store was gray.  I continued to look but my mind kept going back to that gray sofa and that's what I purchased along with a muted varigated charcoal/black recliner.  I've always loved gray (even years ago when everyone called it "institutional") and was really quite happy that's what I ended up choosing.  

@shoptilyadropagain  What do you coordinate with your gray sofa & recliner?

We recently purchased new recliners for the TV room. Both are dark gray. But that's a room that I don't decorate too much....black bookcases, neutral walls & carpeting, just blinds (don't want window treatment in there). But both chairs have my mother's crocheted afghans, and they are colorful.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not sure how to answer but would recommend to anyone the use of the color wheel.  It is nice to have one but you can just google and get plenty of images.  A color wheel will help you understand color relationships and will usually explain the various color schemes on the reverse side, but you can google that too.  Once you have that information you can put any kind of color scheme together.  

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain  What do you coordinate with your gray sofa & recliner?

We recently purchased new recliners for the TV room. Both are dark gray. But that's a room that I don't decorate too much....black bookcases, neutral walls & carpeting, just blinds (don't want window treatment in there). But both chairs have my mother's crocheted afghans, and they are colorful.

@Harpa My sofa has a cream piping on it and the pillows that came with my sofa are gray/black/ cream and a darker oatmeal color.  My other accessories & throws are mostly in the same colors as my pillows.  My lamps are black wrought iron with a tiny gray geometric print.  Even my wall decor items are done mostly in grays, creams & blacks.  My living room is pretty small so it doesn't take much to fill it up.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus, I dress in similar colors to what you wear. Last week, I went to a wedding and wore a orange, navy, and white print dress. I felt so uncomfortable, at the reception, I went upstairs (the wedding and reception were in the same hotel we were staying at) and changed to cream wide legged pants, and a pale pink top. Felt so much better in my subdued colors. Sorry I went off topic.