Respected Contributor

Re: Cold Shoulder tops and dresses

I can't imagine any reason for me to wear cold shoulder.  I don't like my shoulders being cold.  Or if I want sun protection, I'll need it on my shoulders too.

Respected Contributor

I just ordered two of these new SG cold shoulder tops...black and Prussian blue.  Since I don't wear sleeveless tops, these will work well for me with maxi skirts.

http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Textured-Liquid-Knit-Cold-Shoulder-Top.product.A288475.html

Honored Contributor

I was so excited to see a Vince Camuto T.S.  Then, I saw what it was--what a disappontment.  I wanted shoes or sandals.  I do not care for it, but I detest cold shoulder anyway. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

My rule of thumb: If I wore it when it was "hot" before, I'm not wearing it again. I wore it when Donna Karan showcased it in the 80's. If you love the look, however, wear it. : )

I read this same rule all the time but if everyone sticks to that, we are all going to be walking around nekkid because no fashions are new.  They've pretty much all been around before.  

LOL. Things that are classic never go "in or out". I don't consider the "cold shoulder" or "shark hem" a classic. If they were, they'd ALWAYS be around not just once every 20 years or so.

There isn't anything so classic that eventually it's not going to look dated.  Coats, blazers/jackets, pants.....everything gets updated in some way or another and ends up making a "classic" look dated. 

I personally like some more current styles because I like my wardrobe to be modern and current.  There are some styles I don't like and won't wear them and some I like but they don't look good on me and some that I embrace.

Cold-shoulder and shark bite hems have been around for as long as I can remember.  They come to the forefront of fashion every so often and everyone is wearing them and then although still available, they aren't so trendy looking.    

When I buy something more trendy, I don't buy a ton and I don't spend a lot of money. That is where stores like H&M come into play for me.  I can buy something current and trendy and not break the bank.

I remember when my mother was in her 20's and the very pointed toe shoes were in.  She saved her's and they were all up in the attic.  When it got to the point where my sister and I started to wear them, we pulled my mom's out of the attic.  Yes they were pointed toe shoes but you could tell they were not current.      

Honored Contributor

I've changed my mind about the VC TS on HSN.  While I'm not buying it, I saw it on Marlo Smith and the VC rep.  I thought they both looked fantastic in it. Both had the front tucked in and the back hanging down with pants on.   

Esteemed Contributor

I love the look and always have.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I flipped to TCM and "Funny Girl" last night, and there it was! A dress w/ cold shoulder! Movie made in 1968, but the portrayal of Fanny Brice was circa 1910! You know how those [old] Hollywood designers are...they research and research!

So this old design element is prevalent today. Wear it if you like it; I don't know if age has too much to do with it.

But I haven't seen a cold shoulder from any Q "designer" that I, personally like. It seems they've thrown that in to be on trend somehow, and didn't take much thought with the rest of the garment...does the particular dress/top & fashion statement really call for it?

That's sort of what bothers me about LG and her ruffles, irregular hemlines, lace, etc. Those design elements seem to be just thrown in there, and oh yes, the kitchen sink, too. 

I agree with you.  A lot of these current ones just look like they took a hole punch to the shoulder or just took any kind of top and cut a hole in the shoulder, without any thought to how the garment drapes.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Just wear what you like...

This forum has become such a whiney place.

There has always been fashion trashing on this board as long as I can remember.

Frequent Contributor

From the responses I've seen, I agree with you.  I cannot wait to wear my D&Co dress. Hope more seniors agree!

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I just ordered two of these new SG cold shoulder tops...black and Prussian blue.  Since I don't wear sleeveless tops, these will work well for me with maxi skirts.

http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Textured-Liquid-Knit-Cold-Shoulder-Top.product.A288475.html

@Trudey Those are very pretty! I prefer prints, but if I was in the market for a solid color, I'd sure try one of those.