Respected Contributor

Re: Cold Shoulder tops and dresses

My mom is 62 and has a Susan Graver cold shoulder top. She​ looks good in it. I just bought a couple of cold shoulder pieces from Evine Saturday. I'm 41 and wear a 3x. I generally don't  do sleeveless unless it's super hot out. I'm​ at the age now where it doesn't matter to me what people wear and what age they are unless it's has obscene or racist sayings on it.

Valued Contributor

@txskies wrote:

The cold shoulder tops and dresses have become very popular.  I would be interested in hearing opinions on whether or not the Cold Shoulder style is appropriate for older ladies?

I, personally feel the style is for the younger women.  For an older woman to wear the open shoulder, it sees to make them look like thery are trying to look younger, and it is not age appropriate.  Thoughts?

@txskies I think it depends on the top, style, material, how it fits you, etc...

While I don't love the look, I have seen pieces here and there that I like. I tend to like the style that has a slit on the arm, rather than the shoulder cut out, but, again, it depends on the piece, fabric, and how it fits the person. 

Trusted Contributor

The style is OK for young girls, in some settings.  Some of the cold shoulder tops I've seen give the look a cheap and trashy vibe, even for the young girls.  I won't invest in any of them because they are just a fad.  On larger women, it often makes them look even wider.  To me, they are OK for casual looks, not something to wear to anything where good taste is needed.  Popular, or not, they look a tad tacky to me.  Just my thoughts, I know others won't agree.  That's what makes the world go round, we all have a choice.

Respected Contributor

I had tried several different "cold shoulder" styles and none worked for me because the shoulder opening was in the wrong place (or my shoulders are just odd).  Anyway...I ordered the SG TSV dress with cold shoulders and the fit at the shoulders was perfect and very flattering.  I never thought I would be able to wear this style, but with the right fit I changed my mind.  I don't think age has anything to do with it...if you love something and feel beautiful in it...wear it.

Honored Contributor

Let me be blunt. I don't like the style. I never have and I never weill. I don't think it works on anyone, regardess of age and regardless of how many complements one might... or might not... recieve while wearing such a garment. I think it's a hideous trend and one that will have a number of women several years down the road going through their closets and asking themselves 'what was I thinking'... No. Just no.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays  I am totally serious.  For bedroom only.

Honored Contributor

Tuesday April 25 the TS on HSN is a Vince Amuto cold shoulder blouse for 59.95 in three prints and three colors. I don't like it.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I own 2 Nygard cold shoulder tunic tops in a solid black and a white pin dot printed on a black background. I am waiting for warm weather to wear them this summer. I also bought a clearance I.N.C 1X blue and white print cold shoulder top as it ran small but the sleeves were way too long. As the bottom of this top has a raw unfinished edge I copied the same effect and cut the sleeves so they have an unfinished hem too. I have not worn this top yet either.

Honored Contributor

I like the cold shoulder tops, always have, always will (they are not a new style at all).  As long as the opening doesn't droop or drape all the way down to the elbow, or open too wide to show bra or back.

Today's HSN's TS by Vince Camuto is beautiful in the blush pink.  I bought it and cannot wait to get it to wear with my white skinny jeans or denim skirt.

Esteemed Contributor

I flipped to TCM and "Funny Girl" last night, and there it was! A dress w/ cold shoulder! Movie made in 1968, but the portrayal of Fanny Brice was circa 1910! You know how those [old] Hollywood designers are...they research and research!

So this old design element is prevalent today. Wear it if you like it; I don't know if age has too much to do with it.

But I haven't seen a cold shoulder from any Q "designer" that I, personally like. It seems they've thrown that in to be on trend somehow, and didn't take much thought with the rest of the garment...does the particular dress/top & fashion statement really call for it?

That's sort of what bothers me about LG and her ruffles, irregular hemlines, lace, etc. Those design elements seem to be just thrown in there, and oh yes, the kitchen sink, too.