Respected Contributor

Re: Cold Shoulder tops and dresses

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Just wear what you like...

This forum has become such a whiney place.

@Bri36

"Whiny???.......really???

She's posting a question for opinions on a particular fashion fad in the 'Fashion' forum, how is that being "whiny"??

SMDH........

@KingstonsMom, I didn't say the OP was being whiney.

There's been so many threads in the last month or so about cold shoulder tops - how inappropriate they are, how trashy they are, how cheap they look, and on and on and on about them.

Respected Contributor

I'm 62 and ordered my first cold shoulder top from Zulily. It should be in this week. It's a very pretty black/white print, with a higher neck and wide shoulder straps. As a size 1X woman, my shoulders should fill it out nicely, while it conceals the under part of my arms (the rest of the sleeve is elbow length). It has a rounded hemline that is a little lower in the back.  If it works for me, I'll wear it with a pair of Bob Mackie black wide-legged pants. It might just be perfect for my niece's beach wedding at the end of the summer. Here's a picture of the top---I hope!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried one a few years back when George Simonton had the cold shoulder tops.    I have rather wide/square shoulders and just didn't like the look on me.  So - I made it into a sleeveless top.

Honored Contributor

Had Saturday night dinner out at a popular casual restaurant.  At three of the four tables I could see easily from our table, the women were wearing cold shoulder (2) and off shoulder (1). 

I certainly don't know, but I'd guess all three were date tables and all the women were in their 40's.  They all seemed quite comfortable and looked appropriate for where they were.

I can say for sure I'm never going totally off the shoulder - haven't since my senior prom in 1959(!), but some day I may try on a cold shoulder.  Maybe.

Honored Contributor

I think too many people wear this style just because everyone else is. It is kind of an odd style, that doesn't suit everyone. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Just wear what you like...

This forum has become such a whiney place.

@Bri36

"Whiny???.......really???

She's posting a question for opinions on a particular fashion fad in the 'Fashion' forum, how is that being "whiny"??

SMDH........

@KingstonsMom, I didn't say the OP was being whiney.

There's been so many threads in the last month or so about cold shoulder tops - how inappropriate they are, how trashy they are, how cheap they look, and on and on and on about them.

@Bri36

C'mon, by posting "this forum has become such a whiney (sic) place" on THIS post, is implying that you're including this post in that statement. 

As much as you (and I sometimes, LOL! ) would like to be the board monitors to determine which posts are worthy of being posted/deleted or have been posted too often, the fact is that none of us have that job here.

I personally feel no need to denigrate another poster for their choice of topic/question, whether it's been discussed ad nauseam or previously discussed beau coup times on other threads*.

(*Disclaimer*....except for the 'LR' threads....they drive me nuts, LOL!) 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I am 64 and have several.  I think it depends on your shoulder type and arms as to which kind would look the best.  I have broad shoulders and very toned arms.  I don't think the ones with just a little opening are a good look for me and also are not comfortable but I would think that on a woman who has more slight shoulders or lesser toned arms they would look good.  Also for me the ones with thin slits are not a good look but a larger opening is a great look for me as my arms are well toned and muscular.  The underside of my arms has a little bit of a crepy skin look at times so that part does not show.  Something is only age appropriate if you think it is.  I would think a cold shoulder is appropriate for an older person because many women do not wear sleeveless because of their arms.  I have liked and worn cold shoulder tops for at least 8 years so they are nothing new.

Honored Contributor

@vermint-

that is kind of pretty. That might be one of the exceptionsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom, I respectfully disagree.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I personally don't care for it.  It depends on the cut and the fit on the individual.  Some look nice wearing it -- some not so much, as is with every fad/fashion.