Respected Contributor

Re: Clutch/ Envelope type handbags?

Thanks everyone! 🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I really like the ones Duchess Catherine carries!  Yes, like the clutch for dressy occasions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes, in fact I carried one today, to grocery shop.  It's a truly lovely Lodis bag in a gorgeous springy bright pink leather, embossed with circles of different sizes.

It's about 12" by 8", zips across the top and down one side.  I have another in saddle tan with a red and a black wide stripe running vertically on one section and on one side.

I love these clutches!  I find them easy to carry, a nice change of pace, and a little dressy (special) when I'm out and about in my everyday wear.  Tuck it under your arm and go, or hold it demurely (like a fan) with one hand.

Great special effects!  Find a beauty and enjoy.  This would be easy to set on a table or chair, too - no messy straps ruining the pictures.

@Starpolisher 

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Please don't think I'm being snarky - I truly want to know.  How in the world do you grocery shop carrying a clutch bag?  Do you keep it tucked under one arm the whole time?  I would find that very awkward and uncomfortable.  But putting the clutch in the shopping cart would be a theft waiting to happen.  Do you just shop with one hand?  Please share how you handle this.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I was looking for a clutch bag this winter. The one I selected--Gucci Horsebit-- has a detachable gold-tone short shoulder and another detachable crossbody strap made of webbing. 

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags , of course, I'm happy to answer!  Funny thing, I used to drive a '65 beetle (with a clutch, incidentally), drink coffee and smoke all at the same time!

I tuck the clutch under my arm.  When I'm pushing the cart I set in directly in front of me in the little slot under the cart handle, and when I'm away from the cart, back under my arm or into my grasp it goes.  I'm very watchful - yes indeed, no one is getting to my clutch!

I'm quite purpose-driven when shopping.  I know exactly what I'm getting and where it is located.  No loitering.  Grab and go (while watching belongings).

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

A great clutch is always in style.  I have several I carry all the time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@shoesnbags , of course, I'm happy to answer!  Funny thing, I used to drive a '65 beetle (with a clutch, incidentally), drink coffee and smoke all at the same time!

I tuck the clutch under my arm.  When I'm pushing the cart I set in directly in front of me in the little slot under the cart handle, and when I'm away from the cart, back under my arm or into my grasp it goes.  I'm very watchful - yes indeed, no one is getting to my clutch!

I'm quite purpose-driven when shopping.  I know exactly what I'm getting and where it is located.  No loitering.  Grab and go (while watching belongings).

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Well that explains it, lol! Smiley Wink  BTW I drove a Volkswagon beetle back in the day too. Learned to drive using a clutch and didn't drive an automatic transmission for many years. A friend asked me to drive her big ole Pontiac with automatic transmission (can't remember why) and I panicked because I wasn't sure how to use an automatic transmission or handle a big car.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I brought two Judith Ripka clutches years ago from QVC when she incorporated handbags in her collection both quilted leather.  I use it regularly now they never go out of style and it's a nice change for me from carrying those larger and heavy handbags.

Honored Contributor

I like the type of dressy clutches that have a thin chain strap tucked inside.

That way, when standing around, holding champagne or whatever drink, one can hang the clutch on a forearm.

I'm only guessing that these type of dressy clutches have longer chain straps for hanging on a shoulder. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'Dressy clutches with chains'   .... I just took a quick look via website search.

Amazon and other stores offer these. 

Lots of choices.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).