Frequent Contributor

Re: Clothing prices are so high anymore!!!

Although this idea may not be for everyone, I've found great, name brand clothing at thrift stores. Over the last few years I've dropped some weight and my old clothes didn't fit. I didn't want to spend a lot to replenish my wardrobe, so I started checking out thrift stores. I've found Talbot's, LLBean, JJill, Lauren, Liz and Coldwater Creek clothes is great condition for under $10. I've redone my whole wardrobe and look good. You need to check over the clothes carefully before buying, of course, but it's amazing what you can find at a thrift.

I really like the concept of recycling things so this has been a win-win for me. I've donated my older, larger clothes so it's all been part of the process. I almost never shop regular retail anymore.

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It always makes me laugh when a host tries to tell me that I'm saving money because the overhead isn't there?! How naive do they think we are?! Their production is extravagant and their hosts, I can guess, are making a lot more money then the sales rep at the mall!

It's for that reason I feel their prices should be lower overall. I mean Macy's has hundreds of buildings, thousands of sales associates, and all the overhead all of that entails, yet they manage to offer in house brands at half the price of QVC. Sure their hosts earn a nice salary, but B&M stores have thousands of employees. What makes me laugh is that they actually say that their prices are better, as if no one shops B&M.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I give you so much credit for trying to inform people here of the impact of tariffs.  I tried, and I gave up.  You have been like a voice crying in the wilderness.  It’s going to be a shock to so many.  From now on, I am shopping in my closet.  Not going to spend anything that I absolutely don’t need.

But there are many people who will be hurt more than we know.  Families living from paycheck to paycheck, and those with children to feed, as well as seniors struggling to get by.

Honored Contributor

I know these aren't "designer" names but I was just looking on-line at some things and discovered that the Tog Shop is closing.  They have posted that all their things are 75% off!  Don't know how long this has been going on but it might be a good source to purchase some nice things for really great prices!  There are no returns however!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT Economists say it will affect over 5,000 products that Americans rely on and need. Not all are luxuries either. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

Although this idea may not be for everyone, I've found great, name brand clothing at thrift stores. Over the last few years I've dropped some weight and my old clothes didn't fit. I didn't want to spend a lot to replenish my wardrobe, so I started checking out thrift stores. I've found Talbot's, LLBean, JJill, Lauren, Liz and Coldwater Creek clothes is great condition for under $10. I've redone my whole wardrobe and look good. You need to check over the clothes carefully before buying, of course, but it's amazing what you can find at a thrift.

I really like the concept of recycling things so this has been a win-win for me. I've donated my older, larger clothes so it's all been part of the process. I almost never shop regular retail anymore.

I have found a lot of items from QVC in thrift stores. That is how I came to try SG & D&Co items . I bought a brand new vest that I had yearned for from SG's line but thought I did not want to pay that price --at thrift store it was about $5. and in perfect condition. I did notice the great details she had pointed out and now I search the specials of her items. I would never pay $50. for a tank top though. On the flip side you can see a lot of the lines from QVC & HSN that did not wear well (or weren't laundered well) that makes you think twice before ordering new ones. I find I can sort of check out sizing when I come across an item from shopping channels. 

ITA with @PamfromCT  & Kachina about getting prepared for higher prices on everything !

Honored Contributor

The 25% tariff is only on China.  There is no tariff on other countries or Made in the USA.  Some clothing manufacturers began shifting their manufacturing to other countries some time ago.  Others are probably frantically playing catch-up.  Some haven't started.  

Also, Chinese manufacturers have been raising their prices over the years, so they may not be the best source to have clothing and other products manufactured anymore even if there wasn't a tariff.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It always makes me laugh when a host tries to tell me that I'm saving money because the overhead isn't there?! How naive do they think we are?! Their production is extravagant and their hosts, I can guess, are making a lot more money then the sales rep at the mall!

@Andreatoo, I laugh too when they talk about how they bring the products straight to us, cutting out the middleman so that's why they can give us such good prices.  Do the hosts not realize QVC IS the middleman?  LOL 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In case anyone hasn't notice, there is a tariff war going on.  Going to get worse.  90% of clothes are made over seas, specifically China.  

Made n America goods (NOT clothes) will go down in price, but not too low.  Unions rule here. 

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

In case anyone hasn't notice, there is a tariff war going on.  Going to get worse.  90% of clothes are made over seas, specifically China.  

Made n America goods (NOT clothes) will go down in price, but not too low.  Unions rule here. 

American workers expect a living wage and benefits. And domestic consumers will absorb the cost of items that will not be sold in China. Don't expect prices for items made in the USA to decrease at all.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson