Trusted Contributor

Re: Clothing pet peeves

[ Edited ]

Clothing where the actual measurement of the item doesn't match what's listed in the description. I've lost count of how many times I've ordered items that should fit me, based on the measurements given for the item, yet when I get the item, it's either too small for me or it's huge on me.

My biggest pet peeve is incorrectly measured inseams. I need at least a 33" inch inseam but I prefer 34" so that I am able to wear a heel if I want to. I've ordered pants/jeans where the listed inseam is 33 or 34 inches. When I get the item, the pants/jeans hit above my ankle bone, which is most definitely not a 33 or 34 inch inseam. When I actually measure the inseam, it's 30,31, or 32 inches. 

Another big peeve is shoe sizing. I've worn a 9 1/2 W or 10M for years. (9 1/2 in sandals, 10 for closed in shoes) In the past couple of years, I've been having to get 10 1/2 or 11 in closed in shoes because shoes are being made smaller it seems. Since most brands don't make a 10 1/2, I end up getting an 11, which is then too big. 

I've actually resorted to tracing the outline of my foot on a piece of paper & measuring it, then comparing my foot measurement to one of the shoe size conversion charts that can be found online. My feet consistently measure as a size 10. I've gained weight so I can see my feet getting wider, but not longer. 

Respected Contributor

I also have a problem with sizing and colors. I realize a color in a print catalog or on TV may not accurately show the true color, but when size labels are not reliable, it results in me sending things back. Guess that's the down side we have to tolerate when not actually shopping in a store.

Honored Contributor

Not sure if this is a pet peeve: I really dislike the style of the large scarves wrapped around ones neck. I think they are called "eternity" scarves.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I agree with most of these. My biggest gripes are necklines; most tops are either too low or too high. What about somewhere in the middle? I also hate sheer tops that require an under layer; my personal summers do not need any layers.

I also hate it when tops shrink after one wash.  IMO washing in cold and drying on extra low heat should not cause shrinking. I am not going to lay flat to dry everything I wash - don't have the space or time for that. I do that with dressy tops and sweaters, but it is kind of crazy to have to do that for casual tops because you're afraid they will shrink and get shorter and tighter. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Clothing pet peeves

[ Edited ]

I'm a long sleeves gal.  Although, maybe with a return (I'm hoping) of long leather and fabric gloves worn with 3/4 sleeves, I'd be in heaven....(on earth, that is).   ........... p.s.  Just think of the huge amount of sales if the Q offered stretch faux leather (and other fabrics) gloves................

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Vanity sizing. It makes it very hard to know what size to even try on. I can go to three different stores, try on a plain cotton t-shirt in a size medium, and it'll be just like Goldiocks and the Three Bears. While they may look identical, one will be huge, the other way too small and the third will fit. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Anything that's see-through. I shouldn't have to buy a camisole to match the top I've already spent money on, or have to wear another layer.

I have a new pet peeve - 100% rayon tops. Rayon gives a nice drape to clothing. But 100% rayon is 100% guaranteed to shrink. It needs to be pre-shrunk (which manufacturers are not doing); or, rayon can be added as an element in a fabric blend. The blended fabrics tend to hold their shape and correct sizing.   

Respected Contributor

I hate short sleeved tops that are actually a cap sleeve.  I like my short sleeves to end somewhere between my shoulder & elbow, especially the older I get as my upper arms are not that great looking.

Honored Contributor

Mine is a weird one- I hate when the buttons on pants are backwards.  Most of them are on the right side of the pant, but when they are on the left I get annoyed.Cat Frustrated

I know the lefties will not be sympathetic to my cause.Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

Jeans inseams-- the regular length are too short for me, and the talls (which are hard to come by anyway) are too long!  Woman Frustrated  And by the way I'm not that tall (5'5"), but l have long legs.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~