Respected Contributor

Clothing and bags for my cruise

So I posted in Among Friends about my first cruise coming up in July, to the western Caribbean. Lots of great responses on that post. Now for some specifics. 
I have lots of summer/tropical type clothes. A number of SG  liquid knit dresses and light wraps that I love. Those items don't wrinkle, easy to pack. Pedal pushers, capris. Will I need a pair of lightweight long pants or not?

Flip flops, a pr of sneakers and a pr of nicer sandals, yes? 

As for a 👛 purse. Will I even need one on the ship? What about for the port excursions? 
I have a large Baggalini tote, several small crossbody bags, some Lug bags (Ranger), an

IKWHIP crossbody that holds a phone and cards/cash. 
From your experience what will be most useful?

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing and bags for my cruise

I personally like the Lug crossbody bag. It's late, comfortable, and has our FID technology.

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I personally like the Lug crossbody bag. It's late, comfortable, and has our FID technology.

Which Lug are you referring to? 😊

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I carry a small cross body for shore excursions and have an even smaller bag for evenings (because you need to carry your cruise card).  If you are on a princess medallion class ship, you don't even have a cruise card, but everything is done through an app, so you have to carry your phone.

Most people overpack for a cruise.  You need 2 formal outfits (usually cocktail attire is fine).  3 nights of 'smart casual'--I wear leggings and a dressy top or a sundress type of dress.  I always travel in pants because airports are cold--that will be your first and last night on the ship since you send your luggage away the last night and you meet up again in the port terminal.

The SG items are good because there is no iron in the room.

Trusted Contributor

You won't need a purse on the ship.  When in port I would carry a small crossbody bag.  If the ship has a formal night you don't need a long gown or cocktail dress, just a nice pair of pants/blouse.  Pack lightly as you want to save room in your suitcase for things you might buy on the islands you visit.  

Honored Contributor

We have taken 20+ cruises.  Do not overpack.  Limited space in the stateroom,  Check the "dress requirements" for your particular cruise line.  We gave up "formal" nights years ago.  BTW, formal nights have become much less "formal."  At most a pair of black slacks and a somewhat dressy top will be enough.

I have a baggalini crossbody that I use on shore excurisions. On the ship, pockets are enough for the cabin key and tissues.  I have a small "dressy" shoulder bag purse that I used to use.

SG will be great.  No iron, easy to wash if necessary.  Unless there is a self-service laundry on the ship, having laundry done is very expensive.

Long pants for the flights.

Bon voyage!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was on a cruise last month.  I took a wristlet for the evenings on board the ship.  I carried my phone, sea pass card, drivers license and lipstick as well as some cash for tipping.

For excursions, I had bought a Herschel Backpack.  I think it was called the Nova mini.  It's small but it fit what I needed.  We did beach excursions but I didn't take a change of clothes and big beach bag with me.  I was able to fit both our phones, DH's wallet and other docs we needed into the backpack.  It wasn't bulky or heavy so it worked for me.

On past cruises I took the Lug Carousel II (I think).  I liked that it could be a shoulder back, crossbody or fanny pack.  My problem is I hate all the compartments on Lug bags.  I feel like I spent far too much time unzipping pockets trying to figure out where I put stuff to stay organized.  LOL   

I'm not sure what cruiseline you are going on.  Some are more formal than others and if they do have a formal night, it might be much dressier than on other ships.  We were on Royal and they don't have formal nights any longer.  They now call it "dress to impress."  I'm guessing on some of the larger ships, people may get more dressed but on the ship we were on, there were actually people in the main dining room in jean cut-off shorts and tank tops on dress to impress night.  Some people still went all out but more didn't.  I wore a maxi dress and DH wore twill pants and a button front shirt.

Respected Contributor

So I’ll be on the Celebrity Infinity. They call their formal nights Evening Chic. There will be two on my cruise. For one I’m planning to wear a pair of black very dressy wide leg Halston pants, with a shimmery silver color top. For the other evening, an SG liquid knit midi dress, possibly the pink one that’s an upcoming tsv. Sparkly jewelry with that. Does all this sound ok?

Harmonize the World
Frequent Contributor

I was a travel agent for over 30 years and sent many people on cruises and went on a lot myself.  My cardinal rule about dress codes was always "wear what you are comfortable in and what you'll have fun wearing".  That went way back to when each 7 day cruise had two formal nights.  My husband never has had more than a sport coat for formal nights and mostly wore Dockers pants and polo shirts to dinner in the dining room.  My staple for formal nights were black pants and a semi-fancy top or just a nice blouse.  Hope you have a super time.......I love cruises.........get to go to all kinds of different places and only unpack ONCE.

Respected Contributor

I’m lucky not to have airline travel. We live about two hours northwest of Ft Lauderdale which is where the cruise 🚢 originates. Daughter will fly into Tampa from Bangkok. My husband will drive us to Lauderdale

Harmonize the World