Trusted Contributor

Re: Clothing Prices increased ......

There was a new pant in new fabric and print on the Denim & Co show yesterday that was well over $40. All lines are increasing prices. I agree this happened about the time that S&H was supposedly decreased. Not surprised.

Esteemed Contributor

The prices on HSN that a poster was referring to were for items that have been put on sale or clearance. They do the same that QVC does if the price drops within 30 days of your order date... they give you an adjustment.

I just checked on a number of items I purchased last year especially from Denim & Co, SG, and LC. I don't remember when I've ever purchased anything at the regular QVC price... it's always at the featured price or a TSV. Most of the items have not gone up in price in a year, and those that have just went off the featured price and back to the regular QVC price. I don't consider that a price increase, since the "Featured Price" is only for a limited time on any item - it eventually goes up to the regular price.

I was also under the impression that most prices had increased, but this random sampling (about 12 items) showed me that most of the things I purchased a year ago that are still available have not. I think they may be either not offering new things at a "Featured Price" or they're just not leaving the featured price as long as they did before.

But the shipping changes are making me much less likely to buy something if it's not just a different color in an item I already know fits me.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Chrystaltree said:

People whined and grumbled and complained about the high s&h charges and QVC reduced them. Well! What did you think was going to happen?

I would think that they would re-evaluate their processes and perhaps find ways to save s/h costs or offer other incentives for loyal customers. Any company can certainly do anything they choose, as can their clientele.

In addition, I would think that a discussion could take place with a degree of civility.

Super Contributor

Coincidence that several responses mentioned Macy's . I just returned from a doctor appt . and there was a Macy's flyer with a newspaper there . I checked it for prices & you're all right about that . Much less by half , plus coupons on front page . Quality-looking clothes & designer labels too . Shoes & household goods on sale , were about the same as the Q tho .
Honored Contributor

I do the bulk of my clothing shopping brick and mortar. Pretty much everything I like has gone up more than 10% with almost everything under $100 showing around a $10 increase and more expensive items going up more, but also about that 10%.

There's lot of inexpensive stuff around though, so shopping pays off - especially for anything you don't want to wear over and over in the next few years.

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of clothing from Fred Meyer and rarely pay more than twenty for a top.I get some really nice things and have started a lot of people shopping there...now if only they would give me a commission.
Esteemed Contributor

I notice the same as you, blueskies, merchandise has gone up approx. $l0. and at the same time as S&H was gifted to us. I've been checking malls and online, and often casual, D&Co. type clothing, is $l0 and sometimes more. I check fabric, too. I think there was a time when QVC stood for quality, value and convenience. You always could depend on getting all of that. Anymore? Maybe a name change is due.

Super Contributor

Looks like most if us agree on seeing a $10 increase . Someone here mentioned wages going up overseas & I recall hearing that too last Fall . That was inevitable as everyone wants a fair pay for their labor . Those textile mills & clothing manufacturing were once in this area . I personally know how difficult that work is . Did that cause the increase or did hikes in profit margins ? Who knows ? Plus, you can bet they ( overseas ) don't have workplace regulations like we do . The problem is , that American wages have stagnated for 3 decades . American workers can't keep up with rising costs, in many aspects of their lives . So, how far can costs for goods rise ? After essentials like housing, food, utilities , etc. , there's little disposable income left . Businesses usually compete for those dollars . Anyway, I'll be watching for sales via online more & more . Thanks for sharing all the great advice on stores , certain quality clothing lines to look for , discounts , etc. ......if one of my fave lines on the Q has something I just love & know I won't find elsewhere , I'll probably purchase it . I just refuse to pay 40-50 for a simple garment / top with no detail work . I'm also tired of solId colors ; few pretty prints . And not a fan of huge flowers or an overwhelming pattern on fabric. I may take out my sewing machine & pick up fabric & pattern ....might be fun to sew 1 or 2 simple summer tops in a pretty fabric again . It might cost me $15 -$ 25 per top , buying a basic pattern. ........thanks for your input everyone ! ..... Hope spring arrives soon where you live. ; it hasn't here yet . Snow just melted & going into 50's this weekend . Hooray Smiley Happy Happy Spring !
Contributor

Lately, because if the very high pricing, I have been putting in the search "last clicks" and the name of the fashion brand. I have been getting some really nice articles for very much less the original. It's like shopping a clearance rack at a store. You take what you can get but I realize that you cannot shop exactly what you are looking for. I do that in my favorite stores with coupons.
Regular Contributor

I understand that in business, the purpose is to make a profit. But seriously! If QVC doesn't start to try to compete, their profits will start to suffer. Today I asked my sister if she wanted a QVC or an Amazon gift certificate for her birthday. She chose Amazon and said "I'm mad at QVC right now" :-D My entire family has shopped with QVC for many years but they really, need to remove the V from QVC. It no longer applies. :-(