Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily ...........Sorry no I dont remember who reported it.  I do not watch the news only for weather.  But when the buying percentages came on and then I only got a minute of it.  This was maybe 3 weeks ago.  But a post in the TSV forum made me think of it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I've only bought one each of leggings, jeans & a sweater for fall, and they were to replace wornout items. This is less than half of what i usually buy, but I probably spent almost as much as last year. I'm done shopping for clothes for the season.

Honored Contributor

I saw a news segment a few days ago on the excess clothing people own (guilty here) from an ecological standpoint.  They pointed out that it takes 2,000 gal of water to make a pair of jeans.

No wonder they ran Levi Strauss out of El Paso, which is desert, years ago

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I saw that same report!   You are absolutley right.   If memory serves I think it was on the business news.  DH watches for a bit daily as he's really into the stock market , therefore he pays attention to business and real estate graphs.  I remember telling him that I was surprised by this report as back to school time is when most people  spend money on clothing.  

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal .............Thank goodness someone can verify I was right and not loosing my mind.  Thank you!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Re: Clothes buying down?

[ Edited ]

I know this thread is about retail clothing sales, but because I mentioned restaurants above, another side note on that..

Some of that is a "Northeast"and "Cape Cod in season" thing too...and I'm sure these places cost more to run now, and were hit hard for two years. Happy they are still there and to support them.

But comparitively...

I visited a friend in Richmond, VA in June...we ate out at some very nice restaurants, great food, non-chain restaurants. Often dinner for two was about $45.00. That's unheard of where I live.

Lunches in most of our local restaurants (CT) are easily $100+, for two people.

We've got great restaurants, but nothing is a bargain. Wasn't before inflation, even less now. 

Esteemed Contributor

By choice I have contributed to the drop in clothing and shoe purchases.  I considered my lifestyle, what I already have.  I don't go out like I used to so when I saw a cute pair of $100+ shoes i passed.  Where am I going to wear them in the house so I passed.  I have enough shoes to take me anywhere. 

Same applies to clothing.  Have plenty of jeans and tops and choose not to pay $50 - $60 or more for new tops even though I could.  Same goes for handbags, choose a style, brand and color and I will supply it.  

If I need something I would buy but I don't do fabrics with hi polyester content or ridiculous prices for sub standard items.  I wonder why I chose to impulse buy so much in the past, what need did it satisfy?  

This is my story only, no issues or judgements on anyone else choses. I don't deprive myself of anything I really want.   Rather have a good steak tonight then a cheap top.  

Respected Contributor
I definitely scaled back my clothing purchases this year. There are some reasons. One, I am not in the office as much as pre-pandemic, two, I have a lot of clothes already and new stuff that I haven’t worn yet (wearing a sweater today that I had to cut the tags off) and three, the selection is boring and not enticing me to buy anything new. The third reason is probably the most influential to me, since if I really like something, I will buy it anyway.
Respected Contributor

Since I am mostly working from home now (legal assistant) and our office dress code has gone mostly casual, and seeing as how I'm just about a year away from retirement, mostly what I buy these days are basic casual pieces.  I buy a lot at Costco, and recently bought some clearance pieces from HSN and QVC, only because I've gained weight and some of my older clothes just don't fit anymore.  Smiley Sad

It's been a LONG time since I've purchased any non-sale/clearance clothes.

Super Contributor

I grew up in a city apartment where there were very few closets and mom and dad shared one and 6 kids shared 2.  I might add that mom insisted that everything in the house was always neat, including closets.  Today there are 3 of us in our home and we have 13 closets, neat but pretty full.  I am cleaning out each one and hope to use what we have and add nothing more, fingers crossed.  I think people are realizing the overwhelming amount of "stuff" we have that we really don't need.  I also think consignment shopping is becoming more accepted with good bargains to be had, especially for children who outgrow them so quickly.