Honored Contributor

Clothes buying down?

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago I caught part of a blurb on the morning news about the percentages of retail items being sold.

The one that caught my attention was clothing, which was down 40%.  That is a lot especially when people with kids were starting school clothes buying.

Clothing is an item that a lot of people stop buying or buying less. 

Just an FYI if anyone is interested.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

A few weeks ago I caught part of a blurb on the morning news about the percentages of retail items being sold.

The one that caught my attention was clothing, which was down 40%.  That is a lot especially when people with kids were starting school clothes buying.

Clothing is an item that a lot of people stop buying or buying less. 

Just an FYI if anyone is interested.

@Imaoldhippie   In the long haul, laundry detergent is less money and doing an extra load during the week solves that issue of paying more for clothing.

Honored Contributor

This information makes sense....with prices/inflation so high, people are concerned about making house/rent/car/food/utility/gas payments.  Clothing is not a priority when the country is hurting.

Respected Contributor

Re: Clothes buying down?

[ Edited ]

That is interesting. It seems most of the reasons have been discussed on this board. Lack of innovative designs, poor quality, sloppy construction, and higher prices seem to be the main culprits. Why spend money on that?

Honored Contributor

When you don't have the money to spend...the design/quality of clothing is irrelevant.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this has to do with rising food & fuel costs.

I know I do not need anything. Only to replace used & worn, and that only applies to tee shirts these days. I already have every style jacket & coat for every season in my closet, so something new & pretty will not be enticing.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Imaoldhippie  I tried googling to find an article on this, but what I found was that mostly apparel sales were up 2- 4%. One of the articles said inventory was up 40-45% and retailers were having sales, but people were still paying higher prices compared to last year. Express sales were up 30%, but Old Navy sales were down 19%. Companies weren't making as much $ because their operating costs had risen.

Do you know what news source reported the 40% drop?

If the report is accurate, I think it will be on major news outlets soon. The repercussions of a 40% loss in sales would be job loss and some apparel retailers closing. Was the report for a local store? Or a single company?

I wonder since the apparel sales differ at different companies, whether it depends on how they handle fluctuating inventory, sales, and costs.

Respected Contributor

My husband is pretty much work from home now.  He goes into the office maybe once every other week or when there is something important going on.  My sister remains working from home too.  No need for work clothes, at least not as many.  I'm not looking to buy any Fall/Winter clothing.  What I have will do.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

This information makes sense....with prices/inflation so high, people are concerned about making house/rent/car/food/utility/gas payments.  Clothing is not a priority when the country is hurting.

Exactly what I was going to say. Makes sense. I'm doing the same. I have plenty of clothing. Am decluttering what I can also, and will only buy anything as needed, IF needed. Using what I have!

Meanwhile...we just got back from the Cape, where we go, usually once annually....Example of inflation...a local restaurant we frequent...casual fare, lively bar atmosphere (ie. not fancy), same lunch 3 years ago (with drinks, apps, and lunch), about $80. This time we almost fell off our bar stools...$150.00!

Not complaining...I get it..."first world problems" and grateful we could take the vacation...just saying..everything is insane.

Yep...necessesties are priority. The retailers can keep it all...lately, and not just on Q...I am so bored with the cheap same uninspired fashion I see out there. I was hoping to treat myself instead to my favorite boutique in Cape Cod when I went...CLOSED! After over 40 years...another sad 2020 casualty. Such a shame...it was a cute shop with great clothing, accessories and a long history in town.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @ScrapHappy

There are now people working from home, and there are also those that "never went back to work" evidenced by all of the "help wanted" signs. 

Many even at work, dress more casually, however, expensive items on sites that carry nicer items do sell out.

Impossible to know if the buyers of expensive items are buying for personal wear or to resell and profit.