Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

Very interesting read. I once bought a pair of DG2 black jeans. The smell was disgusting and I did everything to get rid of it. Washed it over and over, let it dry outside, tried Gain detergent nothing got rid of it and I couldn't wear them so I sent them back.

Thanks for the info on what the smell is. Knowing what the chemicals are makes me wonder about health concerns.

Dg2 jeans are the worst offenders I have ever encountered. The dark, medium and bright colors are awful. The whites are usually okay. 

I have over a dozen pairs of Diane’s jeans and never received one that has an odor.  

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@butterfly123 

That's a hard question to answer. I've purchased clothing by so many QVC vendors and haven't had this problem a lot. Of all the brands I love the most, I ordered two moss crepe shirts from Louis Del Ollio that I had to send back. I've gotten jeans from Kim Gravel and Susan Graver that had an odor.

But its everywhere. The Coach handbag I had was the worst and I did not buy that from QVC. The weights that were nauseating were from Amazon.

Its really hit or miss. I guess shopping in brick and mortar stores would solve the problem. I have a disability and I don't shop at brick and mortar stores any more, though. I can't get up from low seats and the little benches in the dressing rooms are too low for me. So I either buy and bring home to try on, or order online.

I honestly don't know if there is a way to avoid this by not buying any particular brand; it is that ubiquitous and a matter of chance.

@AussieLuvr 

I try to shop eco friendly, sustainable fashion companies that are certified. Variety is limited though. 

Honored Contributor

I purchased a Dooney and Bourke Florentine leather bag from the Dooney website.  The leather, not the lining, had a strong fishy smell.  I sprayed it several times with the Don Aslett solution and completely got rid of the odor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, the denim and company ,comfy jacket ,i have tried washing ,over and over ,putting it outside for 7 days,and it still smells.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Clothes That Smell

[ Edited ]

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

Very interesting read. I once bought a pair of DG2 black jeans. The smell was disgusting and I did everything to get rid of it. Washed it over and over, let it dry outside, tried Gain detergent nothing got rid of it and I couldn't wear them so I sent them back.

Thanks for the info on what the smell is. Knowing what the chemicals are makes me wonder about health concerns.

Dg2 jeans are the worst offenders I have ever encountered. The dark, medium and bright colors are awful. The whites are usually okay. 

I have over a dozen pairs of Diane’s jeans and never received one that has an odor.  

Either you're lucky or many of us are very unlucky. 

That's a common complaint on reviews of all her jeans. I have some jeans that are 3 years old and they still stink. I thought the smell would wear off over time. Nope. I won't wear those out. Only at home when cleaning. I should have thrown them out, I guess. 😁

Smell and inconsistent sizing are the main complaints about her jeans. 

Honored Contributor

I can smell it if I am in Gabe's, Walmart of some other store with a cheap plastic shoe or handbag section.  I hate the smell of plastic and vinyl...it gives me an instant headache. New cars too.

I ordered a Tony Little pillow from HSN...that was the worse.  I first threw it out of my bed on to the floor, but could still smell it, so I got up and took it to another room.  I sent it back the next day.

For some imported clothing items, pesticides are applied before they are shipped by boat to keep rodents away.  You should always wash clothing before wearing, if possible.

Respected Contributor

My worst experience was a nice looking long dark purple leather coat I ordered. When I opened the packaging, it reeked of what smelled like kerosene. Sent it back and did not try to re-order. Never happened before nor after. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, the denim and company ,comfy jacket ,i have tried washing ,over and over ,putting it outside for 7 days,and it still smells.

Try putting it in a sealed bag or container with charcoal briquettes. After a day or two, the odor should be gone.  I use charcoal in coolers, bags, refrigerators, freezers and other places to absorb orders.  It works pretty good.

Respected Contributor

I add a little “Odo-Ban” to the laundry of anything stinky and it takes out any bad smells. Great stuff. So many uses. It’s also fantastic to add to your load of towels. Takes care of that musty smell that can build up. 

Respected Contributor

I can’t stand the chemical smells either nor can I stand to go down the detergent isle or the air freshener isle. Also, DH uses head and shoulders shampoos and they are so strong they turn my stomach. I’m having to share a bathroom with him for a couple months while the master bath is being torn up and repaired due to water damage.

Thankfully he’s agreed to use a different shampoo until he doesn’t have to use my bathroom. 😳