Respected Contributor

Re: Clothes That Smell

[ Edited ]

There are two major reasons clothing stinks.  Darker dyes are offensive.  Then there's the fact items manufactured overseas, particularly in China, are sprayed with insect repellent, then sealed in plastic bags.

I've had new stinky items; sometimes washing the items or a simple airing outdoors has remedied the problems.  Sometimes sealing a sheet of scented fabric softener in a plastic bag with the item has remedied it.   Then there were times nothing worked and I tossed the item.

I always use lightly scented laundry detergent and fabric softener.  I like the way our clothes smell when they come out of the dryer.

Honored Contributor

As much as I dislike chemicals in general, I guess that I would prefer them instead of spiders, mold, mildew, various disease, moths, and whatever else.

Years and years ago, when clothing was made in USA, it was a simple train ride or truck ride to various stores and distribution centers.  Maybe a few days or a week or so.

Now, it's a long, long ride on ships where climate changes are the norm.  Lots of moisture, then heat, then cold, etc. on container ships.

So treatments using various chemicals prevent even worse scenarios.

As long as we air out, then wash out the various chemicals, I think we're ok.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).