Super Contributor

Re: Clothes That Smell

[ Edited ]

Can someone educate me on what designer 'DG' is? I am clueless, lol.

I appreciate everyone's input to this thread. There are SO many things we buy for our families and homes that come from overseas - and experience outgassing. 

I'm not a person who is super sensitive to smells but when something smells BAD, I don't want it on me or in my home. 

Not to mention what one of the posters here talked about that I forgot about - pesticides and rodent repellant/poison during shipping is a big thing, too.

For me, the problem with outgassing is that I can't truly know when (and if) it has stopped occurring, even when the smell is gone. I can't even begin to imagine the health implications for all of us!

None of this even touches upon the people who work in the factories that produce these fabrics, items, etc. They are breathing this stuff in eight hours per day!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr 

DG is Diane Gillman or Gellman (?) She is a vendor who sells clothing on HSN.

All this reference to stinky black jeans reminded me of a pair of charcoal LEE jeans, my favorite pair for a while in the early 2000s. That rare, perfect fitting jean.

The smell never washed out.

But I noticed after I put them on, and the fibers warmed from my skin, the odor disappeared.

Seriously, I recall being outside in fresh air, and asking someone to smell my knee area for an objective opinion... Lol!

Funny, because they always stunk from a foot away coming out of a warm dryer.  Huh!

Super Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

I contacted the Coach store AND Coach corporate about the stinky purse I'd bought. I paid about $200 for it at a Tanger Outlet store, so retail it was much more expensive. They wouldn't even discuss it with me and just said, "NO. We cannot help you." I've never bought anything from Coach again. I understand that the dyes in the fabric lining their bags may not be something they want responsibility for. But I was very respectful and asked if I could at least get a coupon towards another Coach purchase, but they wanted no part of me.

That's OK. I no longer want any part of them, either. Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

I contacted the Coach store AND Coach corporate about the stinky purse I'd bought. I paid about $200 for it at a Tanger Outlet store, so retail it was much more expensive. They wouldn't even discuss it with me and just said, "NO. We cannot help you." I've never bought anything from Coach again. I understand that the dyes in the fabric lining their bags may not be something they want responsibility for. But I was very respectful and asked if I could at least get a coupon towards another Coach purchase, but they wanted no part of me.

That's OK. I no longer want any part of them, either. Smiley Very Happy

@AussieLuvr 

@Grouchomarx 

Coach and Dooney are notorious for bad and dismissive customer service. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was so many years ago............

I once had a new mattress (twin at the time) which took months to out-gas. 

Lucky that I didn't have my old mattress carried away.

Same with new carpeting in one room.

They had to remove it and also the padding due to a strong odor that became worse as the days went by........They had it tested (after removel) which they said showed some sort of mold and odor embedded in the padding which probably migrated into the carpeting.

It was a beautiful shade of forest (or whatever) green, with a leaf pattern.

Oh, well.............

Re: Clothing:  

I've found that airing out new clothing for a couple of weeks sometimes works.  Out-gas before washing.

Also:  As strange as this sounds, wrapping an item in newsprint for a few days seems to draw out the odor.

It really has worked for me 80 percent of the time, but I don't have any scientific research to back me (up). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Interesting but I have never had that problem with anything I have ever bought online or anywhere else.  And I shop a lot!  Actually, not a single friend or family member has ever told one of those "it smelled" stories.  I've only heard it on this board.  Honestly, the reasons for it wouldn't even matter to me.  Why would I care why I got  stinky sweater?  I'd just send back and be done with it.

Respected Contributor

Although I appreciate knowing that so many others have experienced the smell problem and there are ways to get rid of the smell, it does not make it right or acceptable.  Honestly, it makes me angry. I don't recall ever having had this issue even 3-years ago.  

Honored Contributor

I do believe that many of us are highly sensitive.

Others don't even seem to smell or notice anything.

I say this because the strong odors seeping out of neighbors' garages (detergents and dryer sheets) is soooo strong and noticeable just walking around the neighborhood.   I doubt that those odors/scents/chemicals bother them.

'It all depends' on the individual, I guess.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I do believe that many of us are highly sensitive.

Others don't even seem to smell or notice anything.

I say this because the strong odors seeping out of neighbors' garages (detergents and dryer sheets) is soooo strong and noticeable just walking around the neighborhood.   I doubt that those odors/scents/chemicals bother them.

'It all depends' on the individual, I guess.

@ROMARY 

I will admit that I am “overly” sensitive, at least compared to others around me.  I live in the country and often people will burn things (trash, pasture grass) or the farmers will use chemicals on their fields and I get horrific headaches.  When I mention it to my neighbors, they don’t notice anything.

I became chemically sensitive years ago after I got really sick.  It was really, really bad for a few years after that.  As I built my immunity back, it’s not quite as bad.  At least now I can go through the detergent aisle long enough to buy laundry soap!🤭🤗