Super Contributor

There are a lot of reviews written about clothing that has a terrible odor when it arrives, and it won't wash out.

There is a process called "outgassing" or "offgassing" and it is a chemical process that occurs in fabrics due to a few different things; the chemical processes that result from dyes, packaging, shipping containers, etc.

Typically it occurs in clothing that is made and dyed in China and some other Far Eastern countries. It may be the fabric dyes but it sometimes occurs when the clothing is packed in plastic, then boxes, then a shipping container for at least a few months.

It is sometimes impossible to get rid of the odor. I had a REALLY expensive Coach handbag with a satiny, silky liner that stunk like a refinery exhaust smell. The leather didn't smell but if you stuck your nose in the bag it was horrible. For three years I tried leaving it outside, putting lavender soaked cotton balls in it, stuffing it with newspaper, stuffing it with fabric softener sheets, a bar of soap and even charcoal briquettes wrapped in cheesecloth. NOTHING worked and I could not carry that bag. I ended up giving it away to a young woman who was just so grateful to have a Coach bag that she didn't care.

I once ordered a set of 1lb, plastic-covered, handheld weights for exercising my arms and the stench was horrific; I had to return them.

We have a gel foam memory mattress that made my dog cough and gag every time she jumped on the bed; because of outgassing. It didn't bother us but we thought of it as a canary in a coal mine scenario - if it was bothering our dog that much, what effect was/is it having on us? (The dog came and went on the bed at will, and eventually stayed off by choice).

There was a HUGE issue some years ago with sheetrock from China. A lot of contractors used it because it was inexpensive but the outgassing was so horrid that what should have been $300,000 homes were bringing less than $50,000 because of all of the work involved replacing the sheetrock and getting rid of the smell.

QVC doesn't really have any control over it. If their vendors continue to use manufacturers who use materials or shipping methods that create outgassing, the smell will continue. In many cases, the garments don't smell after they come off the production line but with time, packing and shipping - they DO smell when they get to the other end.

If you google "outgassing" you can learn about it. 

Respected Contributor

Very interesting read. I once bought a pair of DG2 black jeans. The smell was disgusting and I did everything to get rid of it. Washed it over and over, let it dry outside, tried Gain detergent nothing got rid of it and I couldn't wear them so I sent them back.

Thanks for the info on what the smell is. Knowing what the chemicals are makes me wonder about health concerns.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

I do notice smelly clothing.  I assumed it was the fabric spandex, dyes, and the packaging.  Turns out I was right.  Thanks for the information!

Honored Contributor

This is one big reason I tend to stick to certain retailers when it comes to buying clothes.  And I’ve noticed it’s often the darker dyed fabrics that are the smelliest.  I’m very sensitive to it.

But many things outgas.  New carpet, for instance.  I can’t stand to stay in a house with new carpeting.  I also have problems when I walk through Walmart by the shoe department.  Almost makes me sick to my stomach.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, @AussieLuvr they built new homes near us years ago that had this problem and the new homeowners had to move out, sue the builder and they lived a nightmare for years.  Thanks for all the info.

Honored Contributor

I purchased dd a swimsuit with this smell and we ended up having to return it. I do know what you are talking about.

Trusted Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

Very interesting read. I once bought a pair of DG2 black jeans. The smell was disgusting and I did everything to get rid of it. Washed it over and over, let it dry outside, tried Gain detergent nothing got rid of it and I couldn't wear them so I sent them back.

Thanks for the info on what the smell is. Knowing what the chemicals are makes me wonder about health concerns.

Dg2 jeans are the worst offenders I have ever encountered. The dark, medium and bright colors are awful. The whites are usually okay. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Clothes That Smell

[ Edited ]

@AussieLuvr.  I know how to get rid of that smell, at least on clothing.  I use Don Aslett's X-O Deodorant concentrate, a QVC product, mixed in solution in a spray bottle.  I never measure it but use maybe 1/4 concentrate and the rest water.  I spray the item thoroughly but lightly on both sides, let it dry, then spray again.  The smell will be completely gone.

In the past week, I've used this on 2 pairs of Joan Rivers denim pants and one pair of Denim & Co. pants.  The were all dyed denim blue fabric.  I've never had the odor on any denim other than blue. 

One of the stinkest things I've gotten was a Susan Graver pendant on a leather cord.  I couldn't be in the same room as that necklace.  I treated it with the Don Aslett solution and now it has no odor whatsoever.

Thanks for your technical explanation of this problem which is never, ever mentioned on QVC but I'm sure is well known by the returns department.  I bet the hosts and models are very familiar with it too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

I return clothing from online stores frequently due to the smell. 

I cannot shop the laundry detergent/cleaning supplies/ paper items aisles in stores due to the overwhelming scents added to products.

May I ask what brands of clothing you purchase that are 

acceptable?

Super Contributor

@butterfly123 

That's a hard question to answer. I've purchased clothing by so many QVC vendors and haven't had this problem a lot. Of all the brands I love the most, I ordered two moss crepe shirts from Louis Del Ollio that I had to send back. I've gotten jeans from Kim Gravel and Susan Graver that had an odor.

But its everywhere. The Coach handbag I had was the worst and I did not buy that from QVC. The weights that were nauseating were from Amazon.

Its really hit or miss. I guess shopping in brick and mortar stores would solve the problem. I have a disability and I don't shop at brick and mortar stores any more, though. I can't get up from low seats and the little benches in the dressing rooms are too low for me. So I either buy and bring home to try on, or order online.

I honestly don't know if there is a way to avoid this by not buying any particular brand; it is that ubiquitous and a matter of chance.