Super Contributor

It's commendable that you recognize this about yourself and are vowing to change your habits.

In the past I shopped OFTEN. And I would feel deprived and sometimes even sad if I didn't bring home something new, whether it was clothes, shoes, makeup, perfume, etc.

The last few years have been so different for me. Every year I spend less on clothes (I know, because I keep track). I work in a small office and don't have to be a fashion plate because NO ONE CARES! I like to look nice and put forth a lot of effort in my appearance. But these days I realize I just don't need all those clothes. I add pieces carefully and I don't settle for things just because they're a good deal or because I'm bored or need a lift.

Having a smaller wardrobe has made my life LESS complicated and for that I am grateful!

Respected Contributor

Ironically, I always hated shopping but loved clothes. So I shopped infrequently and often when I really needed something.

Then I got sick enough to be homebound and found QVC. I didn't have to go into a store to shop. I got into credit card debt; got out paying very little interest. Was careful for a long time. Then I lost weight and had to shop. Around this time I got a laptop and discovered online shopping.

I need nothing. Looking at my credit card it's clear I'm spending too much money on clothes, etc. I need nothing.

I became addicted to Linea. Didn't buy anything during the last few shows. I have to stop watching the Q. I'm still homebound a lot. Started reading a lot. Watching quality TV.

Super Contributor
I'm in the process of closet purging, lots of items barely worn. I think my problem is that I want something new, and that takes precedent over the practicality of the item--return a lot, but still keep too much. I just don't have enough social occasions to wear all this stuff, even though I love it. I'm starting with beauty items, and working toward the clothing. Handbag addiction as well. I just moved, and that will help you recognize addiction REAL fast. Expensive beauty items, not used, barely used. Endless nail polish, perfume, cosmetics. Boxes of handbags, coats, faux fur. I live in SoCal now, don't need it!!!! Oh, and drawers of jewelry. Sigh, work in progress.....
Super Contributor
Lavendar, I hate shopping and love clothes ??
Honored Contributor

Since I live in Florida I don't need any winter clothes. For the few chilly days a year we get I have more than enough. In the summer we go to Pa. for 5 months. I buy a lot of things I need while we are here as clothing is tax free in Pa. Now that all the clothes in the stores are changed over to winter I am done buying until next spring.

Esteemed Contributor

I found QVC 13 years ago when I was bed bound/wheel chair bound & couldn't get to a store or the mall. My first purchase was from David V. & it was a Christmas tree that you could put up in 90 seconds. Still have it & love it. I have been so much better the last 10 years & I still hate malls. DH & I just returned from PA two weeks ago. I did buy several nice things at the QVCV Studio Store, the RockVale Mall in Lancaster, PA & the Frazer Outlet store. No tax & no s/h was sooooo much fun.

Honored Contributor

You can do it! You can do what you have to do to keep your family safe and the good news, at least for the clothes shopping part, I suspect you won't even feel you're suffering.

I'm sure there will be changes in your lifestyle that aren't as comfortable as wearing an older sweater another day and for those changes, I am so sorry and I do hope your DH can find work he needs and wants to do.

PS- I've gone through my donation bags at times, too. Feels silly at the time!

Honored Contributor

It's good to only buy what you Really need. Sounds like you do not need anything right now.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/30/2014 kjohnson said:

OK, so the DH lost his job last week...we are fine...the income loss is an adjustment but we're good on my salary until he is back on his feet. However, this is the smack in the face I needed for me to take a good look at my clothes spending.

What I found shocked me! I have clothes I forget I had. I have clothes that I've never worn. I have clothes that I may have worn once or twice and honestly I really don't like them. I have 8 of the same thing all in different colors...multiple times over.

And the worst part...last night I went "shopping" in my donation bin. I pulled out 5 pieces that I have no clue why I even put them there in the first place. I'm thinking maybe because my clothes must fit in a specific space and as I'm bringing more in something "old" has to go.

For a while buying new clothes often was a necessity as I was dropping a lot of weight. The weight loss is complete, but I didn't stop buying. I've gotten all all wrapped up in the presentations, the Today Specials, the TSVs, you need a basic color and a "fun" color, buy more and save.... Don't buy and save!

I realized yesterday that I'm an addict that has fallen for all the high pressure sales tactics. So, regardless of what happens with the DH's job hunt I must turn over a new leaf!

From this moment forward I an going to start to truly enjoying what I have...wear what I have and stop getting wrapped up in all the "new"... There is always something new and I getting off the "I must keep" train.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

You're not alone! Last summer I bought alot of DG jeans, and now they're all too small. Some I never wore. I will keep them because my weight seems to change. I have 4's, 6's and 8's. I only order things I need now and TRY not to get involved in the current hype..it is an addiction! The shopping channels know exactly what they're doing..lol!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Good for you! I am not buying anymore either. I hardly have room for what I have now.