Trusted Contributor

OK, so the DH lost his job last week...we are fine...the income loss is an adjustment but we're good on my salary until he is back on his feet. However, this is the smack in the face I needed for me to take a good look at my clothes spending.

What I found shocked me! I have clothes I forget I had. I have clothes that I've never worn. I have clothes that I may have worn once or twice and honestly I really don't like them. I have 8 of the same thing all in different colors...multiple times over.

And the worst part...last night I went "shopping" in my donation bin. I pulled out 5 pieces that I have no clue why I even put them there in the first place. I'm thinking maybe because my clothes must fit in a specific space and as I'm bringing more in something "old" has to go.

For a while buying new clothes often was a necessity as I was dropping a lot of weight. The weight loss is complete, but I didn't stop buying. I've gotten all all wrapped up in the presentations, the Today Specials, the TSVs, you need a basic color and a "fun" color, buy more and save.... Don't buy and save!

I realized yesterday that I'm an addict that has fallen for all the high pressure sales tactics. So, regardless of what happens with the DH's job hunt I must turn over a new leaf!

From this moment forward I an going to start to truly enjoying what I have...wear what I have and stop getting wrapped up in all the "new"... There is always something new and I getting off the "I must keep" train.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Respected Contributor

I'll join you. I'm going to try to buy nothing for thirty days. It's a new month tomorrow so that should be a good start.

Trusted Contributor

So many people on these boards have confessed problems just like yours. Others who obviously shop compulsively become defensive when any mention of compulsive shopping or shopping addiction comes up. Shopping and acquisition definitely give a temporary high and a rush -- and it's easy to get caught up in it. The endless cycle of shopping, spending, acquiring, stashing, and forgetting is such a bummer. GOOD FOR YOU for recognizing how much mindless, meaningless shopping you've been doing. Such a waste of time and resources, isn't it? How much better to stop the madness and take time to evaluate and enjoy what you already have! You can probably "shop your closet" and create interesting, stylish new outfits for months and years to come.

Best of luck to your husband in his job search, and best wishes to you in overcoming a habit that was bringing you down.

Honored Contributor

I've taken stuff out of the give away pile before.

You can do the no shop for 30 days easily.

There are many bloggers and instagrammers who are doing the same thing via challenges (sp/) for a month.

http://curvygirlontherun.blogspot.com/ here are the October inspirations giving you ideas to mix up your existing wardrobes.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/30/2014 jackthebear said:

There are many bloggers and instagrammers who are doing the same thing via challenges (sp/) for a month.

http://curvygirlontherun.blogspot.com/ here are the October inspirations giving you ideas to mix up your existing wardrobes.

Thanks for the link! Since I've evaluated things over the last several days I realized I haven't even been enjoying what I get! Buy it, try it on, wash it, hang it, move on to the next acquisition...never thought I'd be "that person"!

So today I'm wearing a top that I pulled from the donate pile. I love it, looks great on, and still looks new. Poor think almost got kicked out because I had to make way for more new stuff! Smile

I think I will enjoy the challenge of truly appreciating what I already have and seeing just how much money that will save. I mean I still have enough in the closets to dress a small island of people...well, maybe not quite...but you get the picture.

Honored Contributor
Good for you!
Honored Contributor
On 9/30/2014 kjohnson said:
On 9/30/2014 jackthebear said:

Thanks for the link! Since I've evaluated things over the last several days I realized I haven't even been enjoying what I get! Buy it, try it on, wash it, hang it, move on to the next acquisition...never thought I'd be "that person"!

So today I'm wearing a top that I pulled from the donate pile. I love it, looks great on, and still looks new. Poor think almost got kicked out because I had to make way for more new stuff! Smile

I think I will enjoy the challenge of truly appreciating what I already have and seeing just how much money that will save. I mean I still have enough in the closets to dress a small island of people...well, maybe not quite...but you get the picture.

you are welcome, I tried to post the actual picture of the October challenges but it didn't work, maybe somebody else can. She has an instagram page and many other ladies do the closet remix all the time, it gives you ideas, and there are other themed challenges too.

http://instagram.com/p/tQNY8Us5kW/?modal=true a better look

Respected Contributor

I think the less I have to do with clothes and shopping the better. Does anyone have a blog for just stopping shopping?

Honored Contributor
On 9/30/2014 lavendar said:

I think the less I have to do with clothes and shopping the better. Does anyone have a blog for just stopping shopping?

There is this one that I found, tell me what you think

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/

interesting reading but I don't think she really tells you how to stop. One has to do that oneself. I don't buy as much as I used to because I don't really go anywhere that I need more clothing.

Try to stay away from the stores one day at a time? For my self sometimes just going and looking is enough for me. Walking around the mall looking and getting a coffee satisfies me. There are tons of blogs out there with ladies in the same boat.

Respected Contributor

I know I have found myself buying way more than I want to spend in a month - and way more than necessary! I think it was all those years of SAHM with no clothing budget that once I had "my own" income I kind of went crazy for a while. I feel like I've been at a semi- healthy minimum for quite a while but still there are times I question "why?" I have a handful of red flags such as returning a lot, no more available hangers, etc to help me keep on track.