Honored Contributor

Re: Closets: Dream vs. Reality

Those closets are bigger than my master bedroom! Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

My spouse and I redesigned our house many years ago and we each have our own walk in closets and our own bathrooms. My closet has never been full, always had room for everything w/ lots of unused space. I don't do a huge seasonal shift, except for my linen items, which I do fold and put away each September.

I do purges about 3 times a year. Recently went thru and pulled lots of corporate clothing. I mean, good gracious I had a ton of Brook Brothers blouses. My spouse on the other hand, has suits galore, too many golf shirts and a zillion jeans. His closet is jammned because he won't let me purge. He does 'allow me to organize by color and season.  He just laughs and calls me odd. WHICH is why we don't share closet space. Lol.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

The container store has some beautiful closets on display; their own and I forget the other vendor(s)

Honored Contributor

@wilma My closets look like yours, but mine aren't neat like yours. I've never had a large walk in closet.

My dream walk in closet would be large, with organization for everything. Hats, handbags, jewelry. Clothes organized by type and color. Drawers for everything you don't want showing. My shoes aren't beautiful enough to display.

I like pretty display of handbags.

I would want some pretty light fixtures and a three way mirror. Something like this. But display handbags and put doors where the shoes are.

All the clothes I currently have wouldn't fit in this one. And what about coats? My fantasy closet is huge with one of those islands in the middle.

what-a-perfect-closet-looks-like-15-beautiful-walk-in-closet-ideas-11.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@wilmaGorgeous closet'  Great choices by your niece.   

Right now my dream is to have a reason to wear all the clothes already filling the closets and other storage units I have, but a closet like that one could make me feel like a queen as I got dressed.

@millieshops 

Just to clarify. The dream pictures are not my niece’s closet. They are photos of closets I like. Her new closet is bigger than these. Sorry if my original post was confusing. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

My closet is in a very small hallway in the master with a second closet that is not a walk in but a regular one (like yours) which was DH's.  He moved his stuff into the other bedroom closets and gave me his.  He put in shelving so it's my shoe & handbag closet.  I still have to switch out shoes for the seasons but it helps a lot to have a place to store these items.

@haddon9 

Looks like we both have great & understanding husbands when it comes to closet space. 👍

When we moved into this house my DH was quick to let me have the closet in our bedroom. His clothes are hanging in the guest bedroom closet. He does have a dresser in our bedroom for some things. 

Honored Contributor

I have a tiny closet I have to share with DH.  This means lots of stuff jammed in, it drives me nuts.  We built this house 13 years ago and due to last minute changes by our builder one entire closet and one half closet did not get included.  Had I known the outcome I would have suggested he pare down the large bathroom and take that extra space for another closet.  I call this my practice house, unfortunately it will be the only one we ever build.  Sort of like a starter wedding, I guess.

Honored Contributor

I have often fantasized about converting a small bedroom into a closet... So far, it's just a dream and like so many of us, my reality isn't particularly pretty...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@wilmaWow!  Just wow!   

If I had a closet even bigger than the beauties you posted, I'd need lady's maid to go with it!  She could help me chose, help me dress, and help me keep everything in perfect condition -  sad to say, if I had to do all that for myself, I'd probably just stare, grin, and wear the same pieces over and over just the way I do now.

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Did you see Leah's closet?

Image may contain: shoes and indoor