Honored Contributor

Closets: Dream vs. Reality

[ Edited ]

I would love to have a big walk-in closet. My niece and her DH built a new home, and her closet is gorgeous. It’s as large as my entire bedroom. 😱 

Do you have a large or small closet? 

I have a small closet. Two rods on the left side help with maximizing space for tops, blazers, skirts, shorts, etc. The right side has one rod for trousers and dresses. Handbags are stored on the top shelf and shoes in their boxes on the floor. I have 2 dressers for lingerie, tees, jeans, sweaters, sweats, etc. One of the dressers is in the guest bedroom along with a full length mirror. 

My dream closet would have rods, drawers, and shelves for clothes, handbags, shoes, jewelry, lingerie, pjs, etc. It would have a full length mirror. I would love to have everything in one place. I like the idea of a dresser in the middle of the room. I would also want a chair or bench of some kind to sit on when changing. 

Here are a few photos of closets I like and my actual closet. 

Dreams

0188F22D-ABB0-4078-A40D-EC5474456BC4.jpeg

9A63501D-8DD0-4460-B392-76B85EEB6D53.jpeg

Reality

74FBFFB5-29B5-43B9-A79D-61D1C79F08AF.jpeg

8A213680-FEEF-4DF1-AC1A-AF2FAF99AB8C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Closets: Dream vs. Reality

@wilmaGorgeous closet'  Great choices by your niece.   

Right now my dream is to have a reason to wear all the clothes already filling the closets and other storage units I have, but a closet like that one could make me feel like a queen as I got dressed.

Respected Contributor

I like a big closet, too.  But a room size closet like the picture above is just obscene!    If you have so much stuff that your closet looks like a store, you have too much. 

My sister, who lives alone in a 2 bedroom house, converted her spare bedroom into a closet.  And, yes, she has too much.

My own closets are more like the bottom 2 photos.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Wow!  Gorgeous closet and it's my dream to have one like that too!....oh well my reality is a small walk in closet.  I can stand in the middle of it and touch clothes on both sides with arms reaching out.

My closet is in a very small hallway in the master with a second closet that is not a walk in but a regular one (like yours) which was DH's.  He moved his stuff into the other bedroom closets and gave me his.  He put in shelving so it's my shoe & handbag closet.  I still have to switch out shoes for the seasons but it helps a lot to have a place to store these items.

Super Contributor

Wilma7500, your closet is very nice. Albeit, not like the top photos, but nicely organized, matching items and "good" hangers.

I disagree with those who say the top photos are obsene. It's just a bigger area, perhaps same amount of "stuff others" have in their closets. It's a beautiful closet. Lucky to those who have one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

I live in an apartment buildng that was built in the mid 1940s.  Just two small closets. 

I often think how much easier it would be to get dressed if I could actually find something in the cramped closets.   The fact that I everything I wear can go with black makes it a bit easier. 

The big old house I grew up in was built in the early 1920s - same deal - small closets.  I can cope with my closet situation.

While I'd love to have a place with bigger closets - with NYC rents - a bigger apartment is much much much bigger monthly bucks!

Esteemed Contributor

Love me a good closet!

In my last two homes the first thing I did upon moving in was to customize my small walk-in closets. Hired a local business, a lot less $ than California closets and essentially the same thing, plus supporting a local family business.

How much is too much in terms of a closet and it's contents? I am still doing the research on that question! In my previous house, once everyone had moved out, I converted a bedroom to a large temporary walk in closet using shelves, bins and racks.. Easy to organize with a larger closet.

Respected Contributor

The closet in this place I live in now is quite large considering I used to have a closet similar to yours, with the wooden sliding doors.  I consider myself to be a master at organization so I was able to make do.

The closet I have now is about the size or a large bathroom - shelving and rods on 3 sides, set at different heights.  It's carpeted.  It has an overhead light.  No chandelier though.

It is certainly not like the Dream closets shown here, but it works fine for me.  At this stage of the game I need to curtail my clothes buying anyway.  And I'm not buying work clothes or fancy party outfits anymore.  More casual/leisure wear fills my closet so I don't need fancy schmancy for that.  I do understand the appeal though.  If I was younger I'd enjoy an elegant closet, but at my age, I'm thankful to have a sizeable walk-in.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I have a good size walk in closet, big as a small bedroom.

We don't have dressers. 99% of clothes are hung up. There are shelves for clothes that can't be hung up. I have some very delicate Christmas decorations in a couple of big tubs also stored in the closet.

Honored Contributor

I have a large "dream" closet, but less glam than the one pictured.  I do have a rug and a chair in there.  One of the benefits of a large closet is not having to do "the changeover" twice a year.