Occasional Contributor

Clinton Kelly and what he used to say......

On his show What Not To Wear, Clinton used to say.......don't ever buy 100% polyester. At least, get a poly mixed with a natural fiber. Now I notice most of his offerings are 100% polyester. I kind of feel he is a sellout to us. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Clinton Kelly and what he used to say......

I'll have to go look but I don't care for cotton of any kind.

My preference is poly/rayon/spandex, the only natural fiber I would consider is silk.

Spandex must be a natural fiber in his book, I saw one of his pieces is poly/span.

I guess it's different when your name is on the label.

@Pargy

Honored Contributor

I could never figure out why he was on the show and considered an expert in dressing women.  Now he is on the Chew and is into something else.  He makes a lot of money for doing what?  I guess he is a professional entertainer of sorts.

i think his own clothing is silly.  He wears his plaid or check shirts and tight sweaters.  I have seen him in shorts with a long sleeve button down dress shirt and he looks ridiculous.

I have a feeling he was told what to say on the show.  He doesn't seem to have too much talent in that area.  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

From the beginning of What Not to Wear, I got the feeling he didn't know what he was talking about and was just "winging it".  I find him to be very arrogant, although I can't figure out what he's got to feel superior about.  Not a fan. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Maybe he said it, but I ignored him just as I ignore anyone who gives me advice that goes against what I already know!

But there are grades of polyester fabric just as there are grades of silk and cotton and rayon and wool and anything else natural or synthetic or in combination that we could name.

My favorite top this year is a polyester one from NYDJ, but I don't have just one.  I own that top in all the colors I like to wear. 

But show me a designer you think is never wrong and I can most likely find a reason to disagree.  Just because I think CK is wrong this time doesn't mean he's always wrong or that he's any different from everyone else advertising their wares.  caveat emptor is still our best friend.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I could never figure out why he was on the show and considered an expert in dressing women.  Now he is on the Chew and is into something else.  He makes a lot of money for doing what?  I guess he is a professional entertainer of sorts.

i think his own clothing is silly.  He wears his plaid or check shirts and tight sweaters.  I have seen him in shorts with a long sleeve button down dress shirt and he looks ridiculous.

I have a feeling he was told what to say on the show.  He doesn't seem to have too much talent in that area.  Just my opinion.

I have to say I really enjoy him on the Chew. I was never a big fan of his fashion advice, it seemed a little " one note ", but he interacts well with the rest of the Chew crew and helps to move the show along. He is charming and witty and I think this is his real talent.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

He is a sell-out, or a least has no clue what he is talking about.  Someone else on this board once noted he was selling something on QVC he had previously advised against.  Capris, maybe?  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

OP! Thank you for posting this thread. Last month ordered a dress from his line. In all the years shopping with Qvc this purchase omy!! Worst of the worst. Fabric! Heavy cheap! Polyester!! No one could pay me to wear. Shocked! After watching his show year after year. How he had the nerve selling inferior garment on many levels. Clinton Kelly, Should be ashamed. Immediately! Returned.
Respected Contributor

I like Clinton Kelly.  I think he has great style and knows what looks good on women. 

That being said, his QVC line is awful 

Honored Contributor

I loved that show.   I wish someone would do a "current version".

♥Surface of the Sun♥