Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my closet feels good!

@Shanus wrote:

@elated  Your name says it all. Great weight loss. Know you did lots of hard work. Congrats!!! 😁

Thank you. It is greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I get rid of any clothes, shoes, boots and handbags I have not worn or carried in over  a year. I could kick myself for buying so many expensive hand bags from the Q over the years, wish I had that money in my pocket. LOL My sons SO took 3 of the hand bags and I donated 3 others. I'm glad someone can get some use from them and I don't have to be reminded of my frivolous purchases  every time I walk into my closet.

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I keep a large trash bag hanging on a hook in my closet. Any time I try on something that is a "NO", it goes immediately into the donate bag. Oh I still have major sorting to do at times, but not as much. I also go by the "1 thing in and 1 thing out" theory". If I purchase a new pr. a jeans, before they get hung up or folded away, an old, seldom worn pair goes in the "bag". 

Shanus, you are my inspiration! I am going to do just what you said! Thank you and Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

I realized it was time for another purge when I was able to leave a suitcase full of both summer & winter clothes at my sons house in NJ so when I travel up for a visit I don't need to take anything (inc. undies & bras)🙄 And not miss them!

I purged my closet this week (ongoing project) it's a double walk-in -- it's amazing the clothes I kept from my working days, things I bought that got buried, and more! So far I have 3 shopping bags -- dropping off tomorrow.  This includes hubby stuff -- maybe we thought it might get "cold" in FL or WE might decide to go back to work...NOPE!

Its a good feeling to see my closet neat and organized. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know it can be hard to let go of clothing that is well made or was expensive. For me the jackets I gave away were OK but they don't fit me or my lifestyle and I had them in my downstairs office closet in the far left hand side hanging in garment bags. In order to get at that side of the closet I have to move the covered cat litter box which is between the closet door and the sofa. Then once I opened the door I had to move 2 big bags that hold stuff. So these were jackets I didn't wear and had not worn in more than a year or more. I know that there's more to do but I don't want to hold on to clothes that I'm not going to wear.

The past 2 years I've done shoe purges too. My foot shape changed post menopause -- they became a bit wider in the forefoot and narrower in the heel and I could tell I also had less padding in the forefoot. (Who says that menopause only affects your midsection?) If the shoe didn't fit, if it dug into the top of my foot, if I couldn't wear it without taking them off after an hour or less, then out they went. I want pretty shoes but they have to be comfortable and wearable too.

I think I'm the worst with handbags -- I have a lot of them and maybe that will be my goal this year -- go through the ones that I'm only so-so about and donate them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junker2327 wrote:

I am in this category that cant part with my things. My clothes are beautiful and all I have every bought for the most part are classics. I have them all over the house. I keep thinking I can find a custom tailor to remake some of them but really I don't need them at all. I just cannot part with clothes or purses. I also have a serious problem with passing up good wood furniture at sales, etc. Furniture is my passion.

Beckyblu

@Junker2327,I am known as the "organizer" with my friends. I have helped quite a few of them streamline their closets. Why not invite a friend over to help you with the difficult decisions of what to keep and what to donate. It often is easier when you have someone not attached to the clothing or handbags.

Good Luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree.   Twice a year, spring and fall, I clean closets and fill bags to donate to Goodwill.  It feels soooooooo good to deliver them, and it feels good to get rid of stuff.

That said, yes, I have a couple items from my younger days that I always keep.  They still fit, I could wear them, but don't.  Both are from vacations and remind me of the fun days I purchased them.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Okay, how about this one?

I had about 5-6 skirts and blouses that everytime I wear/wore, I got several compliments on-like: "that is so pretty", or: "I love that skirt!"

But I didn't really like them either because of the color wasn't me or the style but kept wearing them cause thought well, I guess they are okay. But after Christmas I thought no, everytime I look at you I don't like you lol! So out they went to donation.

I still have one skirt like this I still have and haven't decided on. It just looks old fashioned to me even though everyone says I love that skirt lol!

I also gave away a classic square-necked "little black dress' that I've had for 40 years! It was always kind of tight, and I thought, this is ridiculous, no point in keeping it, so I gave it away. But I lost weight and always think of it and tried to replace it but, just like others have said, they just don't make clothes or materials like they used to! And I still don't even like the ones I got trying to replace it.I kept hoping a Joan Rivers square necked dress would go on sale and it did in my size but even though the picture shows it is available, when I go to cart it says no longer available. Even cs said it wasn't when I called. The dress I gave away looks just like that. Okay I guess I sound a tad obsessed about the dress that got away!Woman Sad 

Some things are easier because I'll look in the mirror and think~ eww-was I wearing this all this time?! What was I thinking?! Well, I probably didn't really look in the mirror. So those are easy now to give away.

I don't have lots of clothes but want to love the ones I have.

I guess that includes everything-dishes, sheets, shoes, Christmas etc!

Great thread here. I've enjoyed reading them all!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I need to weed out a lot of things too.  I also hate to part with anything.  Everything I have fits, but seems there are some items I just leave in the closet and wear the same other items.  I definitely am going to donate a lot of shoes.  Any I feel are not "safe" and have heels that are now too high, will be gone.  Not worth increasing the chance of falling.  Again, I still wear the same few pairs a lot.   That is my "assignment" to myself for this month.

Honored Contributor

I'm the opposite of a lot of you. I have absolutely no trouble purging. I don't get emotionally attached to too many "things". When I purge, I'm ruthless.  

I regret that I sometimes buy things that I don't end up wearing (as many of us do) but if I'm not wearing something or it doesn't fit or has seen better days, out it goes. 

Like others have posted, I keep a shopping bag open all the time in our office and when I have something to donate, into the bag it goes. When the bag is full, out it goes immediately. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?