Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my closet feels good!

I'm right there with all of you. I made a fast trip through my closet on Tuesday, filled a large box in a short period of time. Took it immediately to the donation center I use. Felt good. More work to do with those hard to part with items.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I am in this category that cant part with my things. My clothes are beautiful and all I have every bought for the most part are classics. I have them all over the house. I keep thinking I can find a custom tailor to remake some of them but really I don't need them at all. I just cannot part with clothes or purses. I also have a serious problem with passing up good wood furniture at sales, etc. Furniture is my passion.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I keep a large trash bag hanging on a hook in my closet. Any time I try on something that is a "NO", it goes immediately into the donate bag. Oh I still have major sorting to do at times, but not as much. I also go by the "1 thing in and 1 thing out" theory". If I purchase a new pr. a jeans, before they get hung up or folded away, an old, seldom worn pair goes in the "bag". 

Esteemed Contributor

I just did this in the Fall and am itching to do this again. I am determined to downsize and streamline this house.  It seems like I have more items that fold than hang these days so I have my eye on some storage cubes in another room to slide into the closets in the bedroom.  That idea will involve the dismantle of the craft room so I can have access to the storage cubes.  One project always leads to another in this house.

I donate everything to a local charity that then divides up what they receive to  other local charites and some rehab/nursing facilities. 

I'm liking the revised version of my closet already and I can't wait until I get to the final phase. 

Respected Contributor

You all inspired me...I had a bag I'd been filling with shoes/clothes I don't wear anymore.  I made a sweep of my closet again and added a few things and drove it up to the Goodwill donation center.

Thanks for providing the momentum...I need to do that more often!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I keep a large trash bag hanging on a hook in my closet. Any time I try on something that is a "NO", it goes immediately into the donate bag. Oh I still have major sorting to do at times, but not as much. I also go by the "1 thing in and 1 thing out" theory". If I purchase a new pr. a jeans, before they get hung up or folded away, an old, seldom worn pair goes in the "bag". 

Yes, the one-in-one-out method works great. My problem though is when I buy several things at once and then try to decide which old items I need to remove from my closet. So frustrating and I then I end up not getting rid of anything. Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@TY wrote:

This time of year I get itching to clean out my closet. Maybe it's the new year but I tried on a bunch of leather and suede jackets and some were too tight around the middle. Some had sleeves that were too long. Some had annoying scratchy metal zippers and some were stiff and too heavy. I have no problem parting with those jackets I didn't wear as I have some nice faux leather ones I prefer.

They'll all get donated to a thrift store that supports a hospice. 

I need to do this as well @TY... I have a lot of handbags I do not use now that I am not working or going out as much....  andclothes that do not fit anymore or are just old and out of fashion...

it is strange that I have like some sort of horders mentality about getting rid of old clothes.. like  I am attached to them somehow.  Does anyone else feel this way? It makes it really hard to take them off the hanger and put them into the donation bag.  I may not have worn them for five years but I just can not part with them.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????????

Yes! Yes! Yes! 

I can't get rid of my blazer from High School! Believe me I am no longer 103 pounds. There is no way I will ever wear it again. But still I keep it in a garment bag. And some dresses I really like but I will never wear but they are so well made. You will never see the same quality fabric and workmanship in clothing today.  When I was working before my son was born, I only bought quality clothing. After my son was born my priorities and spending habits changed.

Time for me to stop hoarding.

PS - I did go through my shoes. And each day I wore a different pair to work. If they were not comfortable when I got home, they went into the donate pile. The pile grew and grew and I cleared out enough shoes that each pair now has a spot in my shoe racks. 

Esteemed Contributor

I cleaned out my closet and gave to VVA. I lost 57 lbs and my clothing no longer fit. I figured when you give away your clothing and buy new you have a greater chance of keeping the weight off. I lost weight all on my own so I figure I will keep it off. It is nice to go into a store and find that clothing you desired finally fits. I went from a size 16-18 to a size 6 petite. That feels great.

Honored Contributor

I did this last weekend and given my shoe fetish, I surprised myself by getting rid of maybe 2 or 3 clothing items and 7 or 8 pairs of shoes. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@elated  Your name says it all. Great weight loss. Know you did lots of hard work. Congrats!!! 😁