Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning out my closet feels good!

This time of year I get itching to clean out my closet. Maybe it's the new year but I tried on a bunch of leather and suede jackets and some were too tight around the middle. Some had sleeves that were too long. Some had annoying scratchy metal zippers and some were stiff and too heavy. I have no problem parting with those jackets I didn't wear as I have some nice faux leather ones I prefer.

They'll all get donated to a thrift store that supports a hospice. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my closet feels good!

My husband cleaned out shirts from his closet. Since he retired he figures he doesn't need the vast assortment of different shirts. I bet he got rid of at least 50. Guess he had to do that, because he bought a bunch of new shirts for himself for Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

This time of year I get itching to clean out my closet. Maybe it's the new year but I tried on a bunch of leather and suede jackets and some were too tight around the middle. Some had sleeves that were too long. Some had annoying scratchy metal zippers and some were stiff and too heavy. I have no problem parting with those jackets I didn't wear as I have some nice faux leather ones I prefer.

They'll all get donated to a thrift store that supports a hospice. 

I need to do this as well @TY... I have a lot of handbags I do not use now that I am not working or going out as much....  andclothes that do not fit anymore or are just old and out of fashion...

it is strange that I have like some sort of horders mentality about getting rid of old clothes.. like  I am attached to them somehow.  Does anyone else feel this way? It makes it really hard to take them off the hanger and put them into the donation bag.  I may not have worn them for five years but I just can not part with them.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????????

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My husband cleaned out shirts from his closet. Since he retired he figures he doesn't need the vast assortment of different shirts. I bet he got rid of at least 50. Guess he had to do that, because he bought a bunch of new shirts for himself for Christmas. 

Uggg! My DH has shirts from when he was 20 something.... in the back of his closet. He will not part with them!!!! They of course do not even button as he was 50 pound thinner in his 20's. He NEVER GETS RID OF ANYTHING EVER. 

Valued Contributor

Every so often, I gather up 5 or 10 things that I don't wear or are out of style and get rid of.  It seems less daunting to do it that way. 

It feels so good to have a well-organized closet, doesn't it?

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I feel as though I could have written both of your posts! I get emotionally attached to my clothes too and find it hard to get rid of them. The only reason I gave away a bunch of stuff a few months back is because I lost a bunch of weight and I didn't want them in my closet, giving me permission to gain it back.  My husband is the same way about his clothes and, well, everything of his. God forbid I throw anything of his away, even though he hasn't used/worn it for years because, by golly, he's going to need that someday! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I feel as though I could have written both of your posts! I get emotionally attached to my clothes too and find it hard to get rid of them. The only reason I gave away a bunch of stuff a few months back is because I lost a bunch of weight and I didn't want them in my closet, giving me permission to gain it back.  My husband is the same way about his clothes and, well, everything of his. God forbid I throw anything of his away, even though he hasn't used/worn it for years because, by golly, he's going to need that someday! LOL

@Texasmouse   I have " thin clothes" and my  normal clothes.  I never part with my three size wardrobe as  I always worry that if I gain 10 pounds I would have nothing to wear!  I see the positive idea behind getting rid of the old clothes that are too big... but my crazy way of thinking makes me keep heavier clothes and my thin clothes...

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I know it's kind of a bold move on my part but I feel that, if I give myself that "safety net" I'm more likely to be less diligent about keeping the weight off.  We all have to do what we're comfortable with. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

As I dug through my closet today trying to find something, I decided that since DH will be out of town until Tuesday, this weekend I am going to do the same.  I have clothing I bought a very long time ago hoping I'd fit into it someday.  Ugh.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  I don't fit into it and now not only do I feel awful that I don't fit into it, I feel awful about the wasted money.  I need to just make the break and be done with the stuff that doesn't fit because everytime I look in the closet, I get angry.

I have some like new, worn for a couple of hours shoes and a couple of handbags I used for a day and didn't like, that I am going to list on our local garage sale site on FB.  My SIL has had great luck getting rid of stuff and getting money in the process.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva - I know exactly how you feel!  Smiley Sad