Valued Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my closet feels good!

I long to be one of those people, like in a magazine article, who has a limited amount of clothing, and all mix and match pieces. Ohhh, it sounds wonderful and yet, I too, cannot seem to part with pieces I haven't worn in ages, and also things that are now too small.  That I understand, because we all want to think we "will lose weight someday".  Is it because some clothes hold memories?  Or because I grew up in a house where we didn't get alot of clothes when we were young?? Hmmm....makes you wonder.  But I will continue to try to change Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Last year I got frustrated with too much clothing overtaking my closets and did donate quite a bit.  Unfortunately, you would not know it given the crowded state of my closets.  I am able to part with shoes fairly easily for some reason and I hate buying them so that's one item I don't have too much of.  Except for sandals....I like them and buy a lot.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm the opposite of a lot of you. I have absolutely no trouble purging. I don't get emotionally attached to too many "things". When I purge, I'm ruthless.  

I regret that I sometimes buy things that I don't end up wearing (as many of us do) but if I'm not wearing something or it doesn't fit or has seen better days, out it goes. 

Like others have posted, I keep a shopping bag open all the time in our office and when I have something to donate, into the bag it goes. When the bag is full, out it goes immediately. 

@gidgetgh

I also find it easy to purge my closets. I have no emotional attachments to clothing. I always have a bag in the basement for items to donate and/or sell. If an item doesn't fit, is uncomfortable, or unflattering - out it goes. For an item that I am unsure about but don't wear, I make myself wear it, and I usually find out before 9 am why I don't wear it. Another good idea for purging is to ask yourself if you would buy the item today. 

Good luck, Everyone, with your closet purging! 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm the opposite of a lot of you. I have absolutely no trouble purging. I don't get emotionally attached to too many "things". When I purge, I'm ruthless.  

I regret that I sometimes buy things that I don't end up wearing (as many of us do) but if I'm not wearing something or it doesn't fit or has seen better days, out it goes. 

Like others have posted, I keep a shopping bag open all the time in our office and when I have something to donate, into the bag it goes. When the bag is full, out it goes immediately. 

@gidgetgh

I also find it easy to purge my closets. I have no emotional attachments to clothing. I always have a bag in the basement for items to donate and/or sell. If an item doesn't fit, is uncomfortable, or unflattering - out it goes. For an item that I am unsure about but don't wear, I make myself wear it, and I usually find out before 9 am why I don't wear it. Another good idea for purging is to ask yourself if you would buy the item today. 

Good luck, Everyone, with your closet purging! 

@wilma- "ask yourself if you would buy the item today". Oh, that's really, really good. I can think of the things I gave away last week and the answer would be no. I wonder why our tastes change like that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?