Honored Contributor

Re: Classic Everyday Clothes

@Desert Lily   There is no way I am wearing pajama bottioms outside.  I find a lot of nice clothes at Nordstrom and not expensive.  Yes, they have expensive but they also have reasonably priced clothes.  You can also find some nice pieces at Target (not everything) but there are some cute clothes reasonably priced.  I like to be comfortable but with some style.  I did treat myself to a Nic & Zoe top on sale at Nordstrom for Christmas.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Idk what clothing items you mean that are currently our 2022 Everyday Classics that were handed down from earlier generations @ECBG .

My grandmother wore a dress every single day. She went to college in her 40's and worked as an accountant until her 60's. She made clothes for people and tailored clothes during the Great Depression. She loved clothes & always looked lovely. She made clothes for me until her 80's.

My mom loved clothes, too. As a little child, I remember her wearing dresses at home and pants when she did big house cleaning and on vacations. When she was a businesswoman in the 1970's-1990's, she wore feminine suits and gorgeous blouses. - those were her everyday clothes, even on weekends. She had beautiful dresses & jewelry that she wore out to special occasions with my father, but that wasn't "everyday" dressing. We were required to "dress" for holiday dinners & parties back then, and I do miss that glamour.

Neither my grandmother nor my mom passed down jeans, leggings, or the other items I seem to wear daily lately.

Your post brings back lovely memories of my mother's two sisters, who were like second moms to me. They were both career women, one was an executive secretary, and the other an artist and designer, who was a college professsor teaching in both areas. She designed and sewed many of her own clothes. They were always impecably dressed and accessorized in classic designs. I learned style from them, and it was always a joy to be around them as a much-loved niece.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I think classic everyday clothes are basic items which never go out of style and which can be worn from the time you buy them until the time they wear out or you get sick of them, whichever comes first!  These items could be worn to go pretty much any place, with the exception of a very formal occasion.  You could wear them to work, to church, to go out for a meal, shopping, etc.  

I do not consider pajamas, joggers, etc., things of this nature to be "classic everyday clothes."  Every day comfy clothes are those items to lounge around the house in, do chores at home, or in the case of the joggers, going for a walk.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

Your post is SO very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@soozer wrote:

COVID has cancelled style and fashion.  Even though I reallly don't need anything, I always enjoyed watching the fashion shows and sometimes saw something special.  Unfortunately, PJs and stretchy clothes is all I see.  Sorry.  

@soozer Your first sentence is SO true.  Great post!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Regular Contributor

@amyb 

Regarding long wool coats, I have found some really nice ones at second hand stores and at estate sales.  I know it's not for everyone but sometimes the quality can be better found at these types of venues. When I bought my coats, after a trip to the dry cleaners, you wouldn't know where I bought them.

Regular Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I bet your grandmother and mother were lovely women.  Enjoyed your post.

My grandmother wore dresses every day as well. She had her "house dresses", her good dresses and her church dresses.  She was not a clothes horse but she sure had her dresses categorized. LOL. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While athleisure and lounge wear are popular and trending the last few years, I don't consider most of those items classic. Too many trendy details keep an item from being a classic. For example, basic fitted tees with traditional straight hems are classic, but IMO the printed asymmetrical oversized ones they're selling aren't. 

I admit I have been wearing more pull on knit pants at home for the comfort lately, but they are a solid color & straight leg style that are classic. I still change into a jean or other pant with a nice top or sweater for going out.

I have a very classic timeless wardrobe. I still wear tailored trousers, blazers, turtlenecks, cardigans, dresses, skirts, and nice shoes for singing at church or when I just feel like dressing up. I don't dress for anyone but myself.

If there's one truth in women's fashion today, it's that we have a lot more choices than ever before. 

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@lolakimono That "watermelon pink" one is different. Love that color.

Come to think of it...I saw this at our J.Crew outlet over Christmas, and I was interested (it was in green there, not the pink)...but I don't think it was wool, as I recall so that was a deal breaker.

@amyb 

The J.Crew (regular, not factory) is 100% wool. I own it in a turquoise color with the Thinsulate lining.

The LLB one that I own is pink. Heart  I got it when it was a deal of the day and paid about $100.

Pendleton is another place to find wool, although some of the newer items are starting to see blends.

I have found quite a few vintage items on eBay, Poshmark and Etsy that are 100% wool- mostly ponchos and capes.  

Respected Contributor

I wonder what Millennials & Gen Z would say our Everyday Classics are these days.

I agree with @ECBG  that they'd likely include jeans, crew neck tees, & zip jackets like hoodies, among some other items.

I tend to think they're more casual than they used to be, but I'm not clear on what's encompassed. Jeans, tees, & zip jackets would've never entered my mom's or grandma's mind as everyday classics.