Honored Contributor

Re: Class of 2021: Prom Dresses

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee I think the teal two piece is so pretty too.

I met so many sweet girls through my prom dress giveaway volunteer work. They were so grateful for all they were given, and very well mannered.  Some liked the sexier dresses, some the more conservative dresses. That preference didn't affect my opinions of them.

When I was in high school styles were different, but in that role I had to get with the times and meet them where they were. I'm sure so many of them will go on to become fine women.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@mspatmac Girls going to Senior Prom are usually 17, or 18.  Most 17 (depending on your date of birth and school year).  Many will have prom and enjoy summer then head to college.

You have to pay attention to our young people to know what some of them are doing.  I have a grandson who is not a teenager, but rather a young adult and I can stay up on what's going on through him.  LOL.  

@gertrudecloset  in my Grandsons school the prom is a Jr/Sr prom which he attended two weeks ago.  I am very in tune with young people including almost (6 mo to go) teen Grand daughter.  I take her shopping and she is well aware of what is age appropriate and what isn't. She may want Daisy Dukes but she knows she not getting them.  I have grand daughters who are young adults, grands also in college.   I cover all ages LOL The advertised dress that were posted, some were totally inapproporate and others were fine. BTW many many years ago I wore a strapless gown to my prom (Catholic School too). I am far from a prude.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@mspatmac Girls going to Senior Prom are usually 17, or 18.  Most 17 (depending on your date of birth and school year).  Many will have prom and enjoy summer then head to college.

You have to pay attention to our young people to know what some of them are doing.  I have a grandson who is not a teenager, but rather a young adult and I can stay up on what's going on through him.  LOL.  

@gertrudecloset  in my Grandsons school the prom is a Jr/Sr prom which he attended two weeks ago.  I am very in tune with young people including almost (6 mo to go) teen Grand daughter.  I take her shopping and she is well aware of what is age appropriate and what isn't. She may want Daisy Dukes but she knows she not getting them.  I have grand daughters who are young adults, grands also in college.   I cover all ages LOL The advertised dress that were posted, some were totally inapproporate and others were fine. BTW many many years ago I wore a strapless gown to my prom (Catholic School too). I am far from a prude.  

Well, inappropriate or not they are wearing them.  That's my point.  Did you take a look at the photos I found on internet?  All have deep cleavage going on.  Yes, young women are wearing these outfits.  That's who retailers are beginning to cater to.  Millenials and the younger set.

Every dress I posted was from B&M.  Go browse for yourself; you know what I'm talking about ~ you check for fashions.  @mspatmac 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Connecticut prom trends 2019 - Connecticut Post

Connecticut 2019 prom photo

I like red.  Red say's I'm here!  The red one with the halter type top is lovely.  Wish I could see the back.  I couldn't wear it even at my age.  Fits her well.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I love the first dress, in blue.  Very elegant, maybe too much so for a high school girl.  I don't care for the short dresses at all.  Not "special" enough.  You wouldn't get that swish of a skirt. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A couple from the Say Yes To The Dress prom collection, sold in Macys

18190600_fpx.jpeg

16479935_fpx.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Another 2021 style

Princess-Prom-Dresses-Light-Blue_1024x1024.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think any of these are appropriate for high school girls, except maybe the navy short dress in the first group, and the turquoise dress in the second group. Call me old fashioned, but these dresses would be a big No if I had a daughter in high school. 

Honored Contributor

Now this is a dress! Cinderella!Heart

Princess-Prom-Dresses-Light-Blue_1024x1024.jpg

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I love the first dress, in blue.  Very elegant, maybe too much so for a high school girl.  I don't care for the short dresses at all.  Not "special" enough.  You wouldn't get that swish of a skirt. 

I don't know if this is common, or just something specific to this particular school...

At my co-worker's daughter's school, girls wore long dresses in their junior year and short dresses when they were seniors.  The prom court was also selected from the junior class.  This was completely new to me!

I don't have any children myself so everything I know about teen life came from her.  The styles therefore do not shock me (although I admit I was a little surprised when I first saw some of the clothing websites her daughters bought from.)