Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Clothing Memories

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23 wrote:

@wilma  Those were the "mean" girls as they call them today.

@KathyM23 

They do exist. Some never grow out of it. 

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@wilma We must be kindred spirits because my mom sewed lots of my clothes also.  I was always so proud of getting a new Simplicity or Butterick pattern at the store.  My mom would sew rick rack on the tail of my dress and around the sleeves or neck.  We moved to a different state after my dad passed and I wore my homemade clothes and I too was the butt of jokes.  Children can be cruel, needless to say.

@Boomernichols 

I remember those patterns too. Lots of rick rack trim and eyelet too. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@tiny 2  The first pantyhose I remember was L'EGGS in the plastic egg-shaped container. Do you remember those?

@Desert Lily 

I remember L’eggs. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I’m enjoying reading all your memories. 

Honored Contributor

I remember my mom made a lot of our clothes when my sister and I were young.  Even into high school, if I found a dress or something I liked, my mom would often make it for me.

I also remember having matching outfits, especially at the holidays.  I remember one Christmas in particular, my sister and I had matching long jumper dresses and my mom had the matching long skirt.  I look back so fondly at photos.  My mom's hair was frosted and worn in a beehvie (LOL).  My sister and I had matching perms.  Woman Embarassed  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember my First Communion dress, and a pink and white floral dress that I wore for a portrait. I still have both, my Mom saved them along with a few of my baby clothes.

I remember being made fun of on the school bus by two mean girls for wearing pants with owls on them. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I remember my First Communion dress, and a pink and white floral dress that I wore for a portrait. I still have both, my Mom saved them along with a few of my baby clothes.

I remember being made fun of on the school bus by two mean girls for wearing pants with owls on them. 

@Greeneyedlady21  I remember the first day of Junior High. It was a new school for me and I didn't know anyone. Having received my Seventeen magazine and seeing the girls on the cover with berets and preppy sweaters, I decided to dress the same. Well, it went over like a lead balloon and a group of girls on the bus taunted me mercilessly the entire school year. I ended up walking home because eventually I had enough.

Trusted Contributor

OMG...I remember my godmother sending me one Christmas a white fur muff and matching white fur hat with ties that had pom-poms I bet it was the same set!!   We lived in Northern Vt and I loved those.  It was so warm and cozy in church.  My mother knitted hats, scarves and mittens for us.  My sister and I had a few a matching dresses and pants and tops.  UGH I could never outgrow anything as it was back in my closet once she outgrew hers!.  My mother worked for awhile at a clothing store in the children's department (I believe the name was Magram's Department Store).  They had a clothing line of Danskin for kids.  My sister and I had quite a few of the pants, shorts and matching tops.  No pants in school until I was in 5th grade.  We had to walk to school for the 1st session, walk home for lunch then back for an afternoon session we were just inside of a mile away so no buses for us!   And although there was plenty of snow storms, school was rarely closed lol.  I don't remember much in the way of my shoes except for some buster browns I had.  I had wide feet so shoe shopping for me was no fun.  I remember saddle shoes for some of my cheerleading uniforms, white sneakers for others.  Always a dress on easter with the socks, patent leather shoes, and gloves.  Oh and every Chistmas my sister and I got matching flannel Lantz of Salzberg nightgowns.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

He drove me to someone's house who sold Buster Brown oxfords in his basement that was set up like a shoe store.  The girls looked exactly like the boys.  How did he know about this place?  I was horrified.

You wore "black market" BB oxfords!!!! faint.gif

Didn't every neighborhood have someone who sold "clothing items" in their "basement" back in da day? 

283917.gif@Foxxee 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Do I ever.  I always like stylish shoes for school, but I jumped rope and played hopscotch every day.  Always wearing out my soles.  I was about 8 or 9.

I didn't tell either parent why my soles were wearing out fearing I couldn't jump rope or play hopscotch anymore. 

My father blamed my mother for not buying shoes that wouldn't wear out.  So, he took the matter in his own hands.  Yep...he thought he knew better than my mother even though he never got involved in buying me clothes.

He drove me to someone's house who sold Buster Brown oxfords in his basement that was set up like a shoe store.  The girls looked exactly like the boys.  How did he know about this place?  I was horrified.

What could I do when he picked out those brown shoes?  Of course, I was afraid everyone would make fun of me.  

I wore the soles out on those in a short time, too.  

I just told my father a few years ago why my shoes were wearing out so fast and reminded him about buying those little boy shoes for a little girl.  We laughed about it, but it wasn't funny at the time.  

I wore boy's oxfords until I was in about third grade.  I was knocked kneed and wore corrective shoes from about age 4. Only oxfords like these could be built up to correct my poor feet.  Mine were always a cordavan color.  Finally, they came out with a girls style..bright red with red and white striped laces. Uggh.

Oh, how I hated those shoes...no sneakers for me either. I was made to wear those shoes everyday except for Sunday church services.