Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Clothing Memories

My mom could sew, knit and smock...a lot of our clothes, she made.  I recall a pink dress with smocking (a lot of it at the neckline and down the front).  I loved that dress.

She also crocheted a two piece swimsuit for me...lined it as well....that one did not work out to well!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Enjoying your posts. Having a sis 21 months older, I knew her wardrobe would become my wardrobe. Disclaimer - To the best of my knowledge, I have no idea what happened to that obnoxious navy dress with the oversized, white and navy striped bib and horrendous red bow tie. My prayers were answered once I began growing taller than sis when I was in 7th grade. She was 8th grade. 

Loved my pastel pink Easter blouse and skirt, with pink, patent-leather mary jane shoes with white, straw handbag. I was fourth-grade and fabulous.

In seventh grade I loved my umpire waist copper/turquoise paisley dress. Silky material, in style and made me feel grown up and pretty. My sis told mom I was wearing it more than once a week to school, so mom temporarily took that dress out of my closet. Broke my heart. If it wasn't for that handsome Allen's school locker next to mine, life wouldn't have been worth living for that month. 

Loved my denim overalls that we wore around campus in college. Adorable and comfy. It was a good day when I wore favorite tops and bohemian jewelry with those overalls. Long, French braids helped make the outfit.             

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@wilma I remember some, much has been put behind me.

First grandaughter to a grandmother who only had boys~!

She pretty much bought all of my clothes at a girl's young women's dress shop.

I remember one school dress I HATED!  It was an orange with a little black and yellow pattern, very southwest inspired.  I always hated orange and hated that dress.

My other dressy dresses were beautiful and I loved them.

I also remember being about 6 and my mother took me to buy tennis (play) shoes.  They didn't have blue in my size and he put me in red.  I hated them!!!!  I scrunched up my foot (already being so visual and beginning to work with color) and I just about got spanked!

When I HATE it, I HATE it!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I graduated from Universit of Maryland in 1966.  Girls couldn't wear pants unless they were going to/from Gym. In some ways that time seems like a million years ago; most women majored in Education, Nursing or Executive Secretarial (I major ed in American Literature/Journalism) but, in fact, many were there to get their MRS degree.  During my Freshman year, many of my upper class sorority sisters got married right out of college; married men got an automatic draft deferment (height of Vietnam). I didn't marry until I was 40 ( baby at 45).

Esteemed Contributor

I will always remember my two favorite dresses as a little girl.  One was yellow with smocking and roosters embroidered in the smocking.  It was called my ******-a-doodle- do dress.  The other was navy blue with tiny white flocked dots.  It always ticked when it was put on so it was called my tickle dress.  Many pictues of me in those dresses.  Very early memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone wrote:

I had something that I took/wore to church every Sunday when it was chilly.  You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

It was white with a pink and red rose on it.  It was so soft.  I would pet it during church.  Woman Very Happy  I wish I still had it.

@Travone  I loved my white fur muff.  I almost bought one a few years ago at a vintage store, but passed thinking it would be kinda awkward.  I probably should have bought it though.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Travone wrote:

You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

It was white with a pink and red rose on it.  It was so soft.  I would pet it during church.  Woman Very Happy  I wish I still had it.

@Travone  If your muff was fur (rabbit or mink) then yes I was one of the sooooooo jealous ones.  Ya'll walked around like you know what didn't stink.  In my neck of the woods "back in da day" only RICH girls had fur muffs.  The richer you were, the better the fur. Smiley Very Happy

I never knew anybody who had a fur when I was young... 

Oh @KatieB, you just made me remember the fur pieces that my grandmother and my great aunt wore when I was a little girl. They were the entire little animals (mink?) attached to each other end to end. This monstrosity was worn draped over the shoulders and I could barely stand to look at them. And they had glass eyes - yech!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Travone wrote:

You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

@Travone  If your muff was fur (rabbit or mink) then yes I was one of the sooooooo jealous ones.  Ya'll walked around like you know what didn't stink.  In my neck of the woods "back in da day" only RICH girls had fur muffs.  The richer you were, the better the fur. Smiley Very Happy

I never knew anybody who had a fur when I was young... 

Oh @KatieB, you just made me remember the fur pieces that my grandmother and my great aunt wore when I was a little girl. They were the entire little animals (mink?) attached to each other end to end. This monstrosity was worn draped over the shoulders and I could barely stand to look at them. And they had glass eyes - yech!

I do remember one lady that had one of those.  I can't remember if it was at church or where, but I do know it was not any of my relatives.   Wasn't there a name for those things?

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

One of my 1st junior-size outfits was a burgundy and gold tiny paisley print twill (?) suit jacket & skirt, with a burgundy poorboy top. I've loved the color combo since.

My BFF's mom bought us paper dresses that were orange, pink, and turquoise. We wore them to the BBQ party the next day and then tossed them away!

I had the "Total Look" trend in junior high. The top had exact matching tights. I usually wore them with a jumper, short jumpsuit, or skirt.

My father worked in the City. Every Friday, my mother & I would take the train into the City and shop for my new weekly outfit downtown until my father got out of work and met us for dinner at a nice restaurant.

Pettipants in lieu of a slip, garter belts and nylons, slips & half-slips, fishnet tights

Mini dresses and mini skirts. Pants were not allowed at school. If we wore snow pants, we had to remove them when we got to school. That changed in high school.

Full Easter outfits with matching accessories (gloves, shoes, hat, purse)

Dressing was complicated back then, but fun!

@Desert Lily  I hated garter belts with such a passion. I was so happy when a friend of mine told me about panty hose. I was in loveWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2  The first pantyhose I remember was L'EGGS in the plastic egg-shaped container. Do you remember those?