Respected Contributor

Re: Childhood Clothing Memories

I had something that I took/wore to church every Sunday when it was chilly.  You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

It was white with a pink and red rose on it.  It was so soft.  I would pet it during church.  Woman Very Happy  I wish I still had it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember having to wear black and white saddle oxfords.  They were so ugly.   I thought it was so good when I got a pair of penny loafers...  Don't remember what year it was though.

Honored Contributor

Just recently - SG was twrling around with her dress showing how it moved when she moved - and I recalled my mother sewing weights in the hem of my dress so it hung properly and didn't swirl around when I walked.  I remember the dress was sort of a pink/beige color - it was a dressy dress - but don't remember what the occasion was.

I remember the white middy blouses and navy skirt uniform from grammar school.  And later - the change to jumpers and white blouses in the third grade.

Some other clothes I remember - not sure if I remember actually wearing them or just from seeing pictures of me wearing them.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On FB  recently someone posted a picture of my fourth grade class; the outfit I was wearing came back vividly (pink chiffon blouse and peacock blue taffeta skirt); I also remember a pleated skirt in cobalt blue that my Grandmother embroidered the waist and suspenders with Swiss flowers. In High School I had several wool sheath dresses that a dressmaker made for me and my first formal ( tea length, white, full skirt and strapless) also wore that dress for my sorority initiation when I was in college.  During late 1960s I had a red, white and blue A line mini dress that was short enough that I wore it with navy tights, matching panties and Mini Mouse patent heels ( I was in Okinawa so I had my "Sew lady" copy it in different polyester fabric for me and my friends).  Did I mention that I love clothes?

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

It was white with a pink and red rose on it.  It was so soft.  I would pet it during church.  Woman Very Happy  I wish I still had it.

@Travone  If your muff was fur (rabbit or mink) then yes I was one of the sooooooo jealous ones.  Ya'll walked around like you know what didn't stink.  In my neck of the woods "back in da day" only RICH girls had fur muffs.  The richer you were, the better the fur. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I remember struggling with petticoats under my dresses. I really hated the ones that poofed your dress way out, and they would always slip and show below the hem of my dress. My favorite clothes were pedal pushers and a T- shirt.

Respected Contributor

@wilma We must be kindred spirits because my mom sewed lots of my clothes also.  I was always so proud of getting a new Simplicity or Butterick pattern at the store.  My mom would sew rick rack on the tail of my dress and around the sleeves or neck.  We moved to a different state after my dad passed and I wore my homemade clothes and I too was the butt of jokes.  Children can be cruel, needless to say.

Respected Contributor

One of my 1st junior-size outfits was a burgundy and gold tiny paisley print twill (?) suit jacket & skirt, with a burgundy poorboy top. I've loved the color combo since.

My BFF's mom bought us paper dresses that were orange, pink, and turquoise. We wore them to the BBQ party the next day and then tossed them away!

I had the "Total Look" trend in junior high. The top had exact matching tights. I usually wore them with a jumper, short jumpsuit, or skirt.

My father worked in the City. Every Friday, my mother & I would take the train into the City and shop for my new weekly outfit downtown until my father got out of work and met us for dinner at a nice restaurant.

Pettipants in lieu of a slip, garter belts and nylons, slips & half-slips, fishnet tights

Mini dresses and mini skirts. Pants were not allowed at school. If we wore snow pants, we had to remove them when we got to school. That changed in high school.

Full Easter outfits with matching accessories (gloves, shoes, hat, purse)

Dressing was complicated back then, but fun!

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Travone wrote:

You are all going to be sooooooo jealous.  It was a muff.

@Travone  If your muff was fur (rabbit or mink) then yes I was one of the sooooooo jealous ones.  Ya'll walked around like you know what didn't stink.  In my neck of the woods "back in da day" only RICH girls had fur muffs.  The richer you were, the better the fur. Smiley Very Happy

I never knew anybody who had a fur when I was young... 

Respected Contributor

@KatieB  I had a fox fur on a blue & green plaid coat that my mom bought for me when I was 8 or 9. I was wearing that coat once when we went to the zoo, and a panther followed me back & forth from his outdoor cage environment. My brother thought it was funny; it scared me. I nightmared about panthers, lions, tigers, etc. for a long time after that. LOL