Honored Contributor

Did you have any specific memories about clothing from your childhood?

I remember wearing black and white patent Mary Janes for my dress Sunday shoes. I remember having a pair of white dress gloves too. We always dressed up for church. I wore school uniforms, but that never bothered me, because everyone else did too. 

My mother made most of my play and dress clothes. Sometimes I went with her to the store, and she let me pick out the fabric I liked, but I also remember being told a few times the fabric I wanted was too expensive. Still, I liked what she made for me. 

The worst memory I have is when a few girls in my class made fun of my 8th grade graduation dress made by my mom. The girls told me it was old fashioned and an ugly print. It really upset me. I still remember that all these years later. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Childhood Clothing Memories

I remember my dad putting cletes on the heels of my shoes. I also remember one speciific dress I got for the first day of first grade.It was green and had circles all over it. I thought it was the coolest thing!

Trusted Contributor

A mother and daughter dress.

New penny loafers every September.

Yes, gloves for church and some unfortunate hats.

Peter Pan collars on blouses, which I hate to this day!

Honored Contributor

I can recall almost all my clothing from my childhood.  I still have two sweaters my mother knitted.  Clothing was a huge source of contention with my mother and me.  She used it as a control thing. If there was a particular item I wanted, she would buy it can give it to my sister.  I loved clothing and shoes and still do.  I never got to choose what I wanted to wear, up until I was in high school and learned to sew my own clothing.  She hated everything I made for myself and told me I looked like a "sl--t" whenver I left for school.  

Sorry for going in another direction, but those are my memories.  

Trusted Contributor

i remember many of my clothes as a child. the weird thing is, often, when i'm not even consciously thinking about it, an item of clothing will just pop into my mind and i can even see myself wearing it. it makes me laugh. 

Esteemed Contributor

Plaid jumpers worn with white blouses.

Mom  a great seamstress

Honored Contributor

I can remember a lavender short set that my Mom made and it was decorated with several colors of rick rack, Mom was always very creative

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I wore a crunchy crinoline under my dresses.  If I could, I would have just worn the crinoline.  Loved to twirl around w/that thing on.

Patent leather shoes (black) loaded w/vaseline to make them shine.

Hot pants, tube tops, Angela Davis fro & Roman sandals.  You couldn't tell me I wasn't fly!  Got pics to prove it (to the embarrassment of my children). Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I wore uniforms to school, so I had very little clothing.  

Every Christmas and Easter, I got a new outfit for church.  It included a new coat, hat, dress, underwear and shoes.  That was the only time I got new church clothes.  I wore the same dress every Sunday until I grew out of it.  if it still fit next year, I had two dresses to wear.

I remember my alligator shoes and matching handbag.  I was so proud of them and  hated when the shoes no longer fit.

I was always made to wear a dress coat with a matching hat and leggings.  I would stuff my dress into those leggings all winter long to keep my legs warm.

I was fortunate that I never wore hand me down clothing and my clothing was expensive and well made.  We always shopped at a fine children's shop, but I never had a big closet full of things like my friends did.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I wore a crunchy crinoline under my dresses.  If I could, I would have just worn the crinoline.  Loved to twirl around w/that thing on.

Hot pants, tube tops, Angela Davis fro & Roman sandals.  You couldn't tell me I wasn't fly!  Got pics to prove it (to the embarrassment of my children). Smiley LOL

@Mz iMac wrote:

OMG.  My Dad used to use Vaseline on our patent leather shoes.  He would line up all of our shoes on Saturday night and polish them for church the next day.  We would all (Dad and other siblings) get dressed for church, pick up Grammy, and go to Sunday Mass.  Oh, and it sure sounds like you were FLY!!! LOL.