Respected Contributor

Re: Childhood Clothing Memories

[ Edited ]

@wilma wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

@tiny 2  The first pantyhose I remember was L'EGGS in the plastic egg-shaped container. Do you remember those?

@Desert Lily 

I remember L’eggs. 

@Desert Lily @wilma, Oh Yes I remember them. In the next town over, there was a manufactoring plant for panty hose.They had a little store on site and we would go there and buy our hose much less than the stores.

I asked for a job after school since I was saving for college and worked full time in summer. My job ended up being a Crotch Inspector.Woman Very Happy I would check for any mishaps in sewing and toss the mistakes.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I can still smell that pink 'Lilt' permanent odor.

In those days, we did everything our mom wanted us to do.

Including permanents.

I recall coming home from school, and there was everything all set up.............the box of 'Lilt', a chair to sit in, etc.  

All waiting there for me.................Ugh.  I hated that odor, and can smell it right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

@tiny 2 

THAT is hysterical.  I would have loved to be an HR person reading your job resume......I would have lost it ready your job title as a Crotch Inspector!   Can you imagine that job title in today's political correct time?  Thank you so much for a good belly laugh.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

OMGoodness @shoesnbags   KG paper dolls - WHAT???!!!  Oh this I did not know of. My sisters and I had all sorts of paper dolls.

Were these in the Woman's Day mag or Family Circle magazine? My mother bought both along with Good Housekeeping. One of these in every issue had a page of paper dolls to cut out. We loved these. Speaking of, did you ever have colorforms paper dolls? These were really cool because you could literally slap on an outfit like magnets and they stuck to the body. We loved these too!!!

@PINKdogWOOD 

I remember those magnetic paper dolls! 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

Your story about wearing out your shoes jumping rope brought to mind roller skating.  We did tons of that on our sidewalks in our neighborhood.  The old skates that clamped on our shoes and we tightened with skate keys were killers on the shoes.  I can remember we had to wear our old shoes for that activity (worn and tight) as the skates would tear off the leather soles after awhile.  Can still remember the leather soles flapping when you were walking home, skate in hand!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

What very thoughts @wilma   growing up with your mother who seemed to care more for your sis instead of equal love for both. Trust me, I feel for you, my childhood with my mother sounds very much like your's.

@PINKdogWOOD 

That wasn’t me. It was @lmtep 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Squash heels! So many good memories on this thread. I did have a pair in 7th grade but so wanted real heels for 8th grade graduation/confirmation. And I got my first 2-inch heels! I was so proud of those shoes. I used to walk around in them in my bedroom just to feel grownup. Practically wore those shoes out before I ever "wore" them! Lol

And those Persian lamb's wool coats! Yes,they were very tempting to touch. Interesting how fashion has such an impact on our childhood church memories. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

That was Mc Calls magazine they had a Betsy McCall paper doll and dresses every month

@wilma wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

OMGoodness @shoesnbags   KG paper dolls - WHAT???!!!  Oh this I did not know of. My sisters and I had all sorts of paper dolls.

Were these in the Woman's Day mag or Family Circle magazine? My mother bought both along with Good Housekeeping. One of these in every issue had a page of paper dolls to cut out. We loved these. Speaking of, did you ever have colorforms paper dolls? These were really cool because you could literally slap on an outfit like magnets and they stuck to the body. We loved these too!!!

@PINKdogWOOD 

I remember those magnetic paper dolls! 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I had always wanted a blue velvet dress. My Moms friend gave me one that her daughter had outgrown. I loved it.  I decided to wash it. Hung it on the line and our dog ripped it off. It was in shreds. Never did get one. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD 

No, these weren't from any of the magazines.  They were something you would buy separately, but I don't for the life of me remember if they were in a box or a booklet form like many of my paper dolls.  The KG dolls may have been given to me by my great aunt, who bought most of my Kate Greenaway dresses.  She had no children of her own, so she treated us as her grandchildren.  And her gifts were always very nice!

I do remember cutting out Betsy McCall paper dolls from McCall's magazine.  Gee, I hadn't thought of that in years!

I remember Colorforms, too, but I don't think I had any paper dolls that were Colorforms.  I kind of think that my brother, who is six years younger, was the one who had Colorforms - but they were some boy oriented types. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett