Honored Contributor

Re: Chicos Announces No Iron Linen!

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That "No-Iron FreshChic Linen" from Chico's is 100% linen so it must have some kind of treatment on it.

@SilleeMee   Then I wonder if it lasts through a minimum number of washes. Can it be a permanent fabric treatment?

@Shanus 

I don't know but lots of wrinkle-resistant treatments are permanent b/c it's built into the fibers themselves via a chemical process which can make the fabric feel stiffer than usual. What I would like to know is if that no-iron linen is stiff? 

ETA- The chemicals used to make fabrics wrinkle-resistant are mostly formaldehyde based.

@SilleeMee   That doesn't sound good.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@x Hedge  Fabric has changed due to manufacturers attempts to save money on quality goods. However, many of us won't ever wear anything but natural fibers (cotton, silk, wool, linen, etc.).

Man-made fibers don't breathe, which makes them too uncomfortable to wear. Additionally, that inexpensive clothing is made with plastics, which can cause serious health problems and the material will not decompose in the landfills.

What is so great about those man-made fabrics? In the long-run, those newer fabrics (which have been around a very long time, but not sold in better Dept. stores) is costing all consumers and taxpayers far more money than customers ever imagined.

Begin by shopping for quality fabrics which are better for everyone's health, the manufacturing process, and the environment. Please avoid those nasty man-made fabrics and shop the natural fibers. Can't think of one decent reason to shop for man-made fabrics.

Customer's money will speak volumes on QVC like it does in Dept. stores and various other places I shop. Nothing in my closet has poly, span or other man-made junk in it. I don't need it and certainly won't buy it! Most of my clothing also has French seams, cuffs on all tees with long sleeves, buttons on blouses with sleeves, plackets on blouses, skirts with linings, etc. (Since I only buy one or two D&C tops a year, IDK if you ever see these signs of a quality garment on QVC clothing or not. From what I've seen, QVC doesn't offer anything like what I expect from a quality piece of clothing. Decades ago, yes, QVC carried some high-end brands with great fabrics which were well designed and made.)  

I agree with all of this!  This is particularly true for Summer months. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

My main issue with synthetic fabrics like polyester

The main problem for me of synthetic fabrics like polyester is that they don’t breathe. This results in a feeling of humidity all the time and I find it generally unpleasant.

Many synthetic fibers also look too shiny and cheap to me and just don’t give me the same sense of luxury, comfort and happiness as natural fabrics like cotton, wool and silk.

What is rayon?

How about semi-synthetic fabrics? Are you happier wearing those?

Rayon, for example, is considered to be a semi-synthetic fabric because it is derived from wood pulp, but it does still use chemicals so isn’t completely natural.

What rayon can do is essentially imitate natural fabrics such as silk, wool, cotton or linen, so it can be a middle ground between natural and man-made, which you may find that you can wear this comfortably against your skin.

Or you might like to consider clothing which is a mix of rayon and other natural fabrics such as wool.

PolyesterEasily dyed, strong, light weight, and resistant to shrinking, stretching, mildew and creasing. Sun resistant.

Main disadvantage is that Polyester does not breathe. Fabric shine can be unattractive. Stains are difficult to remove. Not environmentally friendly.

NylonA tough, lightweight, elastic synthetic polymer with a proteinlike chemical structure. Used to imitate silk.Very resilient, easy to care, resistant to insects, fungi and mildew.

Not absorbant, can have an unpleasant sheen, environmentally unfriendly, prone to static electricity.

Spandex or LycraA polyurethane product that can be made tight-fitting without impeding movement. It is used to make activewear, bras, and swimsuits.very elastic, good resistance to lotions oils and perspiration, light weight, strong and durable, soft, smooth, easy to care for.Does not breath very well, slippery on surfaces, sensitive to heat, will show every blub on your body!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That "No-Iron FreshChic Linen" from Chico's is 100% linen so it must have some kind of treatment on it.

@SilleeMee   Then I wonder if it lasts through a minimum number of washes. Can it be a permanent fabric treatment?

@Shanus 

I don't know but lots of wrinkle-resistant treatments are permanent b/c it's built into the fibers themselves via a chemical process which can make the fabric feel stiffer than usual. What I would like to know is if that no-iron linen is stiff? 

ETA- The chemicals used to make fabrics wrinkle-resistant are mostly formaldehyde based.

@SilleeMee   That doesn't sound good.

@Shanus @SilleeMee 

Girls, you can bet I'll check them out.  I need to pick up an order from Soft Surrondings in the same building.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm definitely interested!!   

Looove linen, but haven't worn it in years because it's so difficult to maintain.  This is good news to me.  I'm waiting for your reviews.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Love to wear Linen, hate to iron it.  I don't care for Chicos, so unless they have a copyright on it, I'm will to look.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Love to wear Linen, hate to iron it.  I don't care for Chicos, so unless they have a copyright on it, I'm will to look.

'FreshChic Linen"  appears to be Chico's trademarked name for the linen garments sold by that retailer. @songbird 

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@x Hedge   

. . .
Man-made fibers don't breathe, which makes them too uncomfortable to wear.  

. . .

Again, this is innacurate, old thinking. The technology involved in spinning fiber, then weaving or knitting the fiber into fabric has changed. It's not the 1970s anymore...

... And, plastic fibers are routinely recycled into new products. (Just ask my new rugs!).

Here's just one article re developments in the textile industry. See how these innovative fabrics you besmirch are saving tons of water, eliminating sludge going to landfills, reducing a variety of other negative environmental impacts vs your touted preferences, while providing important practical, medical, and safety advancements which "all consumers and taxpayers" benefit from.

Do you seriously think manufacturers have incorporated nanotechnology techniques into the development of better performing textiles to "save money on quality goods"?

I've stopped wearing virtually all the cold climate garments in my wardrobe except those I purchased in the last two years.

My older winter garments and bedding are bulky, heavy, holds moisture, slow to dry, stain & fade, expands and shrinks, is cold to the touch, etc. While I have a sentimental affection for the 100% cotton, silk, wool, etc, and still wear them in warmer seasons, they simply aren't as comfortable or effective as newer fabrics.

My newer winterwear is (mostly) polyester fibers, sleek rather then bulky, can be worn in multiple layers and still breathe, wick away moisture without making me feel cold, keep my comfy as I repeatedly go from heated to unheated areas, wash and dry in a snap, and overall just easier to bend and move in.

And now...back to our thread of linen and it's characteristics.

@x Hedge I don't see anything in your post or link about improvements in breathability.  And yes all "improvements" are designed to increase the profit of the manufacturer.

Yes, many of the changes make the fabrics less bulky and more lightweight, but that doesn't make them more breathable.

And the materials are not biodegradable and will remain in the earth's environment forever.  Some are recycled, but it is an infinitesimal amount.  I love to shop, but we do need to cure ourselves from this "disease."  I guess we will start sending our waste product in the space...

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe , check out the garments created for skiing, mountaineering, etc where people will be exposed to extreme cold and wind for hours/days at a time.

These are predominantly polyester knits. They are thin, layer easily, wick and BREATH.

I generally wear 2 long sleeved layers topped by a jacket for about 12 hours daily in winter. They ALL BREATHE.

I go from the freezing outside to inside dozens of times, without getting cold or overheating because they BREATHE.

Perhaps you've had experience with woven polyester garments which DONT breathe as the knits do.

P.S.  None of my polyester is shiny! Lol!!  But thanks for making me think of a polyester shirt I bought back in 1972. That was both shiny and sweaty.

Esteemed Contributor

We'll have to agree to disagree on man=made fabrics vs. natural fabrics. I love cashmere (which is warm, yet a thin wool) and good mm weight silks for winter wear (skiing included). Both are natural fibers and breathe . . . and are environmentally friendly. Perhaps you've never shopped for the right items if you think all warm clothing is bulky. Those are materials that have been used for centuries all over the world. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.