Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chicos Announces No Iron Linen!

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe , check out the garments created for skiing, mountaineering, etc where people will be exposed to extreme cold and wind for hours/days at a time.

These are predominantly polyester knits. They are thin, layer easily, wick and BREATH.

I generally wear 2 long sleeved layers topped by a jacket for about 12 hours daily in winter. They ALL BREATHE.

I go from the freezing outside to inside dozens of times, without getting cold or overheating because they BREATHE.

Perhaps you've had experience with woven polyester garments which DONT breathe as the knits do.

P.S.  None of my polyester is shiny! Lol!!  But thanks for making me think of a polyester shirt I bought back in 1972. That was both shiny and sweaty.

@x Hedge , your words conflate a fabric's ability to wick away moisture with its breathability.  These are not the same property.  

The fabrics that are advertised as wicking away moisture make the person sweat, but the garment dries quickly.  So the garment will look great, but the wearer may suffer, sweat and remain sticky, uncomfortable.  That is true of the garments created for skiing, mountaineering, etc, where people may be exposed to extreme cold and wind for hours/days at a time that you refer to. Many polyester/lycra/spandex blends have this wickability.

Breathability means that air passes through the fabric, so that the person is less hot and any sweat evaporates quickly.  This is comfortable.  None of this happens with polyester.  Contrary to your statement, POLYESTER DOES NOT BREATH.  No LOL.  This is all caps because you used all caps.

And no LOL for the environment either.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Chicos Announces No Iron Linen!

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.