Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chicos Announces No Iron Linen!

@Shanus If I really wanted the item, I'd launder it several times and hope the chemicals went down the drain!!! The beauty of linen is the texture and the crinkley wrinkles IMO. It's summer and time to be dressy casual. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Shanus If I really wanted the item, I'd launder it several times and hope the chemicals went down the drain!!! The beauty of linen is the texture and the crinkley wrinkles IMO. It's summer and time to be dressy casual. 

@BirkiLady   My feelings, too. Some lightweight cotton items wrinkle, too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

When I worked in Washington, DC, I wore mostly linen suits during the summer.  I had a closet full of blazers and slim skirts or stiched down pleated skirts in bright colors.

They were beautiful, but I had a long bus commute and was crumpled when I arrived at work.  However, I learned to live with it and came to like that look.

I found after multiple dry cleanings, the fabric wrinkled less and softened with age.

Just recently, I ordered several solid linen-blend blazers from Chadwicks to wear with jeans and French cuff white shirts.  That is my favorite look now rather than suits.

However, I still love pure linen and have held on to a few shirts in black and white.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That "No-Iron FreshChic Linen" from Chico's is 100% linen so it must have some kind of treatment on it.

@SilleeMee   Then I wonder if it lasts through a minimum number of washes. Can it be a permanent fabric treatment?

The flaw is the assumption the linen fiber is being spun into thread the way it was in the past, then treated with a chemical to prevent wrinkles.

However, it's quite possible the textile industry has found a way to spin the linen fiber in a way that makes it inherently wrinkle resistant.

There have been similar developments in both polyester and cotton textiles, so why not linen?

Fabric has changed, ladies. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That "No-Iron FreshChic Linen" from Chico's is 100% linen so it must have some kind of treatment on it.

@SilleeMee   Then I wonder if it lasts through a minimum number of washes. Can it be a permanent fabric treatment?

@Shanus 

I don't know but lots of wrinkle-resistant treatments are permanent b/c it's built into the fibers themselves via a chemical process which can make the fabric feel stiffer than usual. What I would like to know is if that no-iron linen is stiff? 

ETA- The chemicals used to make fabrics wrinkle-resistant are mostly formaldehyde based.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

When I worked in Washington, DC, I wore mostly linen suits during the summer.  I had a closet full of blazers and slim skirts or stiched down pleated skirts in bright colors.

They were beautiful, but I had a long bus commute and was crumpled when I arrived at work.  However, I learned to live with it and came to like that look.

I found after multiple dry cleanings, the fabric wrinkled less and softened with age.

Just recently, I ordered several solid linen-blend blazers from Chadwicks to wear with jeans and French cuff white shirts.  That is my favorite look now rather than suits.

However, I still love pure linen and have held on to a few shirts in black and white.

@Witchy Woman 

I love my summer linen slacks, have learned to ignore the wrinkles.

@x Hedge 

I hadn’t thought of a new weaving method.  Perhaps they are splitting the fibers in half length wise.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

. . .

@x Hedge 

I hadn’t thought of a new weaving method.  Perhaps they are splitting the fibers in half length wise.

From what I read there are different methods for splitting fibers, and in linen, long fibers give a softer finished feel than short fibers.

But check out this new non-linen linen. It's one of the top ten Textile Innovation Award Winners for 2018-2019:

Teijin Frontier's New Linen-like Polyester Fiber

Teijin Frontier's New Linen-like Polyester Fiber offers a fresh, natural appearance for extra-comfortable outer clothing, jackets, bottoms and blouses. Utilizing a special production technique, the linen-like fiber captures the natural resilience, luster, and the unique uneven feeling of linen in an easy-care functional fabric. The new slub yarn features the natural look of linen's thin-and-thick appearance. The yarn's alternately appearing thick parts measure around 100 mm in length. The difference between the thickest and thinnest parts of the fiber is about 1.5 times in diameter. The new fiber maintains its linen-like appearance, even when circular knitting is used. While natural linen is prone to wrinkling and bleaching, fabric made from Teijin's polyester fiber is wrinkle-resistant and retains its color. The new fiber is stretchable, washable, comfortable, easily tailorable, and does not stick to skin. Teijin Frontier will commercially launch the product in the 2019 spring/summer season.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge  Fabric has changed due to manufacturers attempts to save money on quality goods. However, many of us won't ever wear anything but natural fibers (cotton, silk, wool, linen, etc.).

Man-made fibers don't breathe, which makes them too uncomfortable to wear. Additionally, that inexpensive clothing is made with plastics, which can cause serious health problems and the material will not decompose in the landfills.

What is so great about those man-made fabrics? In the long-run, those newer fabrics (which have been around a very long time, but not sold in better Dept. stores) is costing all consumers and taxpayers far more money than customers ever imagined.

Begin by shopping for quality fabrics which are better for everyone's health, the manufacturing process, and the environment. Please avoid those nasty man-made fabrics and shop the natural fibers. Can't think of one decent reason to shop for man-made fabrics.

Customer's money will speak volumes on QVC like it does in Dept. stores and various other places I shop. Nothing in my closet has poly, span or other man-made junk in it. I don't need it and certainly won't buy it! Most of my clothing also has French seams, cuffs on all tees with long sleeves, buttons on blouses with sleeves, plackets on blouses, skirts with linings, etc. (Since I only buy one or two D&C tops a year, IDK if you ever see these signs of a quality garment on QVC clothing or not. From what I've seen, QVC doesn't offer anything like what I expect from a quality piece of clothing. Decades ago, yes, QVC carried some high-end brands with great fabrics which were well designed and made.)  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@x Hedge   

. . .
Man-made fibers don't breathe, which makes them too uncomfortable to wear.  

. . .

Again, this is innacurate, old thinking. The technology involved in spinning fiber, then weaving or knitting the fiber into fabric has changed. It's not the 1970s anymore...

... And, plastic fibers are routinely recycled into new products. (Just ask my new rugs!).

Here's just one article re developments in the textile industry. See how these innovative fabrics you besmirch are saving tons of water, eliminating sludge going to landfills, reducing a variety of other negative environmental impacts vs your touted preferences, while providing important practical, medical, and safety advancements which "all consumers and taxpayers" benefit from.

Do you seriously think manufacturers have incorporated nanotechnology techniques into the development of better performing textiles to "save money on quality goods"?

I've stopped wearing virtually all the cold climate garments in my wardrobe except those I purchased in the last two years.

My older winter garments and bedding are bulky, heavy, holds moisture, slow to dry, stain & fade, expands and shrinks, is cold to the touch, etc. While I have a sentimental affection for the 100% cotton, silk, wool, etc, and still wear them in warmer seasons, they simply aren't as comfortable or effective as newer fabrics.

My newer winterwear is (mostly) polyester fibers, sleek rather then bulky, can be worn in multiple layers and still breathe, wick away moisture without making me feel cold, keep my comfy as I repeatedly go from heated to unheated areas, wash and dry in a snap, and overall just easier to bend and move in.

And now...back to our thread of linen and it's characteristics.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds interesting.  I will continue to wear regular linen.  I don't worry about the wrinkles as much as I used to.  It is a natural fabric and that's what it does....it wrinkles. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life