Honored Contributor

Do you check luggage? 

It comes up in almost every fashion presentation ... the hosts and vendors never check luggage.  Everything is carry-on. 

I ALWAYS check luggage.  The only things I carry on are my Kindle and whatever I happen to be knitting or crocheting at the time.  

Trusted Contributor

Unless it's an extended trip with several different planned activities, I rarely check luggage. 

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Rarely check luggage only for a trip more than a week.  Between an underseat bag, which I put in the overhead, and a tote I have enough room for a week's worth of clothing.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Checking Luggage?

[ Edited ]

Depends. 

Longer than a few days I take my medium sized hard sided suitcase and check it.

If I can, with a smaller "overnighter", for a shorter trip..I'll take that on the plane, with either a backpack or tote w/ a crossbody purse inside it.

Either way, there's plusses minuses...

These days you're lucky when your baggage makes it to where you're going. Only happened to me once, but I've heard plenty of friends say their luggage was lost, then recovered days later...while on the trip, some overseas.

Happened once to me, recently, on the way home, my luggage just got left behind on the connecting flight, which Delta realized, and put on the next flight that same night. They delivered it to me the next day. 

Sometimes taking it on the plane, as usual these days, people tend to make their own rules...so sometimes overhead is "fought for" as people have too much stuff.🙄 Sometimes they get away with that, other times I've seen them be stopped and told they can't take all the bags on.

Plus side, you can just get your luggage and be on your way as soon as you get there.

Anyhoo...I do both...depends. Certainly, checking is nice to just let it go and get on with just a small backpack and as you say, "your Kindle." But streamlining packing and lightening the load is nice too.

Honored Contributor

I only check luggage when traveling internationally and hold my breath until it gets there.

I always use a carry on as a back up with a variety of clothing.  I went to Greece for three weeks once and my luggage didn't.  I was glad for the back up bag.

If I travel internationally again, I will just take the carry on  bag.. I went without my airline lost luggage for a week and found all of this extra clothing wasn't necessary.

Honored Contributor

I never check luggage.  I've learned to travel light.   It's not worth the aggravation of the airlines losing my luggage 

Esteemed Contributor

I never ever check luggage. I make it a point to only travel with a carryon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I overpack so I check luggage when flying.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain 

On a recent (domestic) trip .... I did a lot of shopping and had to buy another suitcase to get home .... checked two bags!

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I overpack so I check luggage when flying.

Trusted Contributor

It bothers me that the hosts and vendors make doing carry on  sound like a virtue.  I carry on when only for a short trip (3-4 days).  Longer trips lately are when my DH and I are flying to a cruise port and we check luggage for those trips.  We cross pack just in case one of our bags gets lost.  I have an airline credit card that allows a free checked bag for each of us.